"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices

Old 11-14-2011, 09:34 AM   #21
Certified Pretend Chef

In an earlier post, I stated I don't check sodium content. Typically I don't because I buy ingredients rather than processed foods. Fruits and veggies in their natural state, no sodium added and unprocessed meats.

I typically don't buy packaged foods other than breads and occasional items. If I buy canned chicken broth to tide me over between batches of homemade, I go for the low sodium as It makes salt control in a recipe easier.

I do use salt. It makes food taste better and I'll take all the help I can get. Like most things, moderation is key.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:36 AM   #22
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

JPB, I rinse my green olives in cold water, replace in the jar and drain and refill with cold water once a day x 3 days. This is really good at removing the excess salt and lets the good olive taste come through.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:49 AM   #23
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I do use salt. It makes food taste better and I'll take all the help I can get. Like most things, moderation is key.
I hear you Andy. For years, I was out of control with many additives that are bad for the body. I poured salt on like it was mana from heaven!

I've found that now, with the much reduced amount of salt I eat, when I do add some to a meal, it takes very little to add a fantastic flavor to the food!

Moderation; a concept that so many avoid.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:50 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
JPB, I rinse my green olives in cold water, replace in the jar and drain and refill with cold water once a day x 3 days. This is really good at removing the excess salt and lets the good olive taste come through.
That's brilliant, PF. Do they last as long as the original olives?
Old 11-14-2011, 09:50 AM   #25
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post

best tip i've gotten in many months!! pf, my sweet enabler, thank you--loving those olives even more now!!
Old 11-14-2011, 10:44 AM   #26
Executive Chef

Thanks for the tip PF60. Wonder if it would work with Kalamatas.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:19 AM   #27
Senior Cook

I don't check the levels on most meat from the butcher case unless it's a cured or brined product where it's likely extra sodium has been added. I look for no, or low, sodium products whenever I buy canned type things. I can find no sodium canned tomatoes, low sodium beans, things of that nature so I don't read the sodium content on those. I do tend to check sodium content on canned beef broth as that one often seems to be high, generally speaking. I always buy the one with the lowest sodium. I always buy unsalted butter so I don't check sodium level there.
Nearly everything has some level of naturally occurring sodium, so what you are really looking for is no, or minimal, sodium added items.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:26 AM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
No, not really, but we consume very little pre-packaged or processed foods. Nearly everything in our house is made from scratch, including all of our bread products. We have a large garden during the summer and a great deal of what comes from that is either canned or frozen. I haven't bought commercially-canned tomato sauce in too many years to count.

On the other hand, I shop for my mother-in-law (she's unable to get out) and I can't tell you how many times I've had to ask a store clerk for assistance in finding some item on her list. Always a boxed or packaged item. Shopping for her has been a real education. I didn't know some of that boxed stuff existed. And, to me, most of it is so expensive.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:49 AM   #29
Executive Chef

I check the nutrition labels on everything I buy, not just for sodium, either. I'm also looking at the quantity of fat and carbohydrates, and especially looking for trans fats and high fructose corn syrup. I don't care what the Corn Refiners Association says, although cane sugar, beet sugar, maple sugar, agave nectar, sorghum, molasses, and corn sugar all contain the same number of calories, 16 per tsp, the human body does not recognize HFCS as a sugar, but as a fat, and treats it accordingly.

BTW, sorry to disagree with Andy, but I believe that nothing that is naturally occurring in the product, such as sodium in beef, needs to be listed on the nutrition label. None of the raw meat I buy from Omaha Steaks even has a nutrition label on it, because nothing has been added to it. Prepared items from them, however, have nutrition labels. So if your ground beef chub lists sodium on the nutrition label, it has most likey been added. If you want to know why, I'd say email the manufacturer. They're always happy to hear from consumers. You might even get some really good coupons out of the deal. I certainly have. I got 10 bucks worth of coupons from Oroweat and a check for $9.00 from Land-O-Lakes.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:15 PM   #30
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
BTW, sorry to disagree with Andy, but I believe that nothing that is naturally occurring in the product, such as sodium in beef, needs to be listed on the nutrition label. None of the raw meat I buy from Omaha Steaks even has a nutrition label on it, because nothing has been added to it. Prepared items from them, however, have nutrition labels. So if your ground beef chub lists sodium on the nutrition label, it has most likey been added. If you want to know why, I'd say email the manufacturer. They're always happy to hear from consumers. You might even get some really good coupons out of the deal. I certainly have. I got 10 bucks worth of coupons from Oroweat and a check for $9.00 from Land-O-Lakes.

No issues with someone's disagreeing with me, but I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with. I wasn't promoting labeling of raw foods.

My statement about ground beef containing sodium naturally came from the USDA nutrition database.

Tags
food