Do you check food labels for sodium content?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Those rolls of ground beef wrapped in plastic. They're usually packaged off-site and may come frozen. They look like a huge sausage. Think Jimmy Dean sausage, but with GB. I think that was what Vit was referring to. I buy my GB on the styrofoam tray covered in plastic wrap that they grind at the store.

I call them chubs, too. And sometimes a hunk of bologna, like what I've shown smoking before, is referred to as a chub by BBQers. I'm not really sure when the term transferred to certain meats.

I usually read all the ingredients and don't usually bother with the nutrient break down. If it is made of food and sugars and salts aren't too far up the list, that's usually good enough for me.

I should have a look at those nutrient panels once in a while. I always checked the carbs when I was on a low carb diet.

Just rinsed the olives and the banana peppers, which have the same sodium content as the olives (14% DRV). Am checking the other condiments.

Last edited:
Yeah, but don't the olives pick up some of the juices that they've been soaking in?
Even if it is like a reverse brining process, where you constantly change out the water hoping to draw the absorbed sodium back out of the olives (and come to think of it, aren't you also reducing the preservatives?), how can the home cook measure the percentage of sodium they have reduced so they know if it falls into their, "They're OK to eat now" category?

How do you check the sodium content on the rinsed olives?

With my Sodium Laser Gun...:rolleyes:

It's not quantifiable in my kitchen and I just turned the Mass Spectrometer off...Shrek says I can borrow his Tri-corder. He's :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

I just go by taste, I know the soak time for the brand of green olives I buy. That's why Vitauta is running out of olives, she's checking them about every hour, I'm being just a bit more patient.

Last edited:
Yeah, but don't the olives pick up some of the juices that they've been soaking in?
Even if it is like a reverse brining process, where you constantly change out the water hoping to draw the absorbed sodium back out of the olives (and come to think of it, aren't you also reducing the preservatives?), how can the home cook measure the percentage of sodium they have reduced so they know if it falls into their, "They're OK to eat now" category?

I guess I could do a rapid reduction on the soak water and do a visual on how much salt there is left.

I DO know where the mass Spec is on Campus...:ninja::zorro::chris:

With my Sodium Laser Gun...:rolleyes:

It's not quantifiable in my kitchen and I just turned the Mass Spectrometer off...Shrek says I can borrow his Tri-corder. He's :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

I just go by taste, I know the soak time for the brand of green olives I buy. That's why Vitauta is running out of olives, she's checking them about every I'm being just a bit more patient.

Gotcha. So you are just reducing them by taste.
I was thinking it was like calorie counting, where you had a specific number in mind.

Gotcha. So you are just reducing them by taste.
I was thinking it was like calorie counting, where you had a specific number in mind.

The Doc asked me how I was doing with the low salt diet. I showed him how I measure it when I cook. A pinch of kosher salt...works for me, I no longer use a salt-shaker, ever.

I finally got used to the taste of Low Sodium V-8 Juice...took me a while. When I do buy something with salt/sodium in it, I make sure a serving has less than 200 mg. But, I'm not making myself crazy over it. I have plenty of other restrictions I have to keep to, that contribute to the insanity.

PrincessFiona60 said:
The Doc asked me how I was doing with the low salt diet. I showed him how I measure it when I cook. A pinch of kosher salt...works for me, I no longer use a salt-shaker, ever.

I finally got used to the taste of Low Sodium V-8 Juice...took me a while. When I do buy something with salt/sodium in it, I make sure a serving has less than 200 mg. But, I'm not making myself crazy over it. I have plenty of other restrictions I have to keep to, that contribute to the insanity.

Great job with the diet, PF!

I love Low Sodium V-8. It's nice with a squeeze of citrus. I take a big mug to work, diluted with a bit of seltzer. I like to cook with it too. We probably go through 4 bottles a week.

I remember the original Low Sodium, from years ago. Nasty, nasty stuff. Wallpaper paste at best. At least they use potassium chloride in the current version.

Last edited:
I checked the labels on the rolls of ground beef at my supermarket, and one of the ingredients listed is salt. I just assumed that the rolls were just ground beef. Not important to me since I grind or chop my own beef.

I check all products I buy for added salt. The less salt in the product, the better chance I have of buying it. No salt is best. Occasionally I will buy reduced salt products, but I need to know reduced from what.

at the market today, i took a look at the ground beef that was packaged in regular trays, not tubes. all the ground beef i saw, in shallow meat trays, some patty-shaped, others loose-packed, had added sodium. i wrote down a toll-free '800' tel. number from one of the meat packages, to call with questions/complaints. we'll see....

I always grind my own meat as I have the grinder for my KA. But I think I will look the next time I go shopping and look at the ground meat. Interesting. And if I see sodium listed, I am going to make a stink as if I am buying it and can't have salt. I am such a troublemaker!

I check labels on most products. I check for sodium, sugar, fat, calories and size of serving for the most part. All of the information is good, but without knowing what they consider a serving it wont help so much. I think serving size is the most important info on the package.

I will have to check the beef I buy, never thought to check a raw meat product for sodium.

at the market today, i took a look at the ground beef that was packaged in regular trays, not tubes. all the ground beef i saw, in shallow meat trays, some patty-shaped, others loose-packed, had added sodium. i wrote down a toll-free '800' tel. number from one of the meat packages, to call with questions/complaints. we'll see....

In my town store, I don't think the loose burger in the styrofoam trays (that the store puts) together has any information other than the price and a use by date that is usually illegible.

pacanis said:
In my town store, I don't think the loose burger in the styrofoam trays (that the store puts) together has any information other than the price and a use by date that is usually illegible.

I looked at mine too, same info.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom