"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices

Old 11-17-2011, 01:43 AM   #61
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

My olives are great! Two days of soaking in fresh water, you can really taste the olives and I detect almost no salt "flavor." Now I have to mince them for Shrek.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:11 AM   #62
Chef Extraordinaire

Supposedly, there is a percentage of the population considered to be salt/sodium sensitive. This would be the genetic factor, I believe. For this segment of the population (I've read 25-30 percent), restricting salt intake makes sense. For the rest of the population, reducing salt intake to normal recommended levels makes sense. It is estimated that most people consume 7x the daily recommended amount of sodium (so instead of 1 tsp, 7 tsp or more). The Salt Reduction Initiative (reducing sodium levels in packaged foods) has as one of its goals to reduce the amount of sodium the next generation consumes.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:18 AM   #63
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Supposedly, there is a percentage of the population considered to be salt/sodium sensitive. This would be the genetic factor, I believe. For this segment of the population (I've read 25-30 percent), restricting salt intake makes sense. For the rest of the population, reducing salt intake to normal recommended levels makes sense. It is estimated that most people consume 7x the daily recommended amount of sodium (so instead of 1 tsp, 7 tsp or more). The Salt Reduction Initiative (reducing sodium levels in packaged foods) has as one of its goals to reduce the amount of sodium the next generation consumes.

I am one of those salt sensitive folks. Did fine until I hit 35 then my blood pressure started creeping up. My Mother was the same age and so was her Mother.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:53 PM   #64
Chef Extraordinaire

Interesting about your mom and your grandmother. I didn't notice when I was reading about it if women are more prone to salt sensitivity than men. Do any of your sibs have the same sensitivity? Cousins?
Old 11-17-2011, 05:08 PM   #65
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
My olives are great! Two days of soaking in fresh water, you can really taste the olives and I detect almost no salt "flavor." Now I have to mince them for Shrek.

my olives are great too! the three day olive cleansing was a big success. only problem is, i'm eating at least a half dozen olives every time i change the olive water. the only way this will work for me is if i can get someone else to perform the water refreshing duties for three days....
Old 11-18-2011, 01:52 AM   #66
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Interesting about your mom and your grandmother. I didn't notice when I was reading about it if women are more prone to salt sensitivity than men. Do any of your sibs have the same sensitivity? Cousins?
Neither of my sisters go to the doctor unless they are dying, so if they have HPB they are unaware of it. My brother has HBP and he's discovering it is salt sensitive, too. Cousins, I have no idea. My Dad has rock steady BP and it's always been at the lower end of normal.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:53 AM   #67
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
my olives are great too! the three day olive cleansing was a big success. only problem is, i'm eating at least a half dozen olives every time i change the olive water. the only way this will work for me is if i can get someone else to perform the water refreshing duties for three days....
I've been really good, I've had three olives, so far! They will disappear this weekend
Old 11-18-2011, 01:52 PM   #68
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I've been really good, I've had three olives, so far! They will disappear this weekend

three olives--how do you do that? and how can you mince olives, or work with them in any kind of way, without munching on them as you go? that irresistible, pungent and briny smell....
Old 11-19-2011, 12:11 AM   #69
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
three olives--how do you do that? and how can you mince olives, or work with them in any kind of way, without munching on them as you go? that irresistible, pungent and briny smell....
I never check them with my dentures in...
Old 11-19-2011, 01:28 PM   #70
Executive Chef

wouldn't stop me....

Tags
food