Do you check food labels for sodium content?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My olives are great! Two days of soaking in fresh water, you can really taste the olives and I detect almost no salt "flavor." Now I have to mince them for Shrek.

Supposedly, there is a percentage of the population considered to be salt/sodium sensitive. This would be the genetic factor, I believe. For this segment of the population (I've read 25-30 percent), restricting salt intake makes sense. For the rest of the population, reducing salt intake to normal recommended levels makes sense. It is estimated that most people consume 7x the daily recommended amount of sodium (so instead of 1 tsp, 7 tsp or more). The Salt Reduction Initiative (reducing sodium levels in packaged foods) has as one of its goals to reduce the amount of sodium the next generation consumes.

Supposedly, there is a percentage of the population considered to be salt/sodium sensitive. This would be the genetic factor, I believe. For this segment of the population (I've read 25-30 percent), restricting salt intake makes sense. For the rest of the population, reducing salt intake to normal recommended levels makes sense. It is estimated that most people consume 7x the daily recommended amount of sodium (so instead of 1 tsp, 7 tsp or more). The Salt Reduction Initiative (reducing sodium levels in packaged foods) has as one of its goals to reduce the amount of sodium the next generation consumes.

I am one of those salt sensitive folks. Did fine until I hit 35 then my blood pressure started creeping up. My Mother was the same age and so was her Mother.

Interesting about your mom and your grandmother. I didn't notice when I was reading about it if women are more prone to salt sensitivity than men. Do any of your sibs have the same sensitivity? Cousins?

My olives are great! Two days of soaking in fresh water, you can really taste the olives and I detect almost no salt "flavor." Now I have to mince them for Shrek.

my olives are great too! the three day olive cleansing was a big success. only problem is, i'm eating at least a half dozen olives every time i change the olive water. the only way this will work for me is if i can get someone else to perform the water refreshing duties for three days....:)

Interesting about your mom and your grandmother. I didn't notice when I was reading about it if women are more prone to salt sensitivity than men. Do any of your sibs have the same sensitivity? Cousins?

Neither of my sisters go to the doctor unless they are dying, so if they have HPB they are unaware of it. My brother has HBP and he's discovering it is salt sensitive, too. Cousins, I have no idea. My Dad has rock steady BP and it's always been at the lower end of normal.

my olives are great too! the three day olive cleansing was a big success. only problem is, i'm eating at least a half dozen olives every time i change the olive water. the only way this will work for me is if i can get someone else to perform the water refreshing duties for three days....:)

I've been really good, I've had three olives, so far! They will disappear this weekend:pig:

three olives--how do you do that? and how can you mince olives, or work with them in any kind of way, without munching on them as you go? that irresistible, pungent and briny smell....:)

I never check them with my dentures in...:LOL:

I always check food labels for sodium content. With high blood pressure it is very important that I limit my salt intake.

I think we all have to deal with labels based on our families' needs. In my case, right now, I have to carb count for my husband. That might change. It is, as far as I'm concerned, just about impossible to check for everything. Might as well just quit cooking. But, should blood pressure become a problem for either of it, I would (and am careful when cooking for my older friends who do have issues).

Back
Top Bottom