"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices

Old 11-13-2011, 11:51 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Do you check food labels for sodium content?

are you aware of how much sodium is in that package of ground beef you just picked up for dinner tonight? i was shocked to learn that the one lb. chub of ground sirloin i bought already contains a whopping 300mgs. of sodium. is that sodium in there as a preservative to lengthen the shelf-life of the meat at the store? i don't know. but i'm beginning to think i need to ask for fresh ground beef from a boneless hunk of chuck or sirloin, etc. of my own selection. i'm afraid to think what i'm apt to find next if i really open my eyes and look....300mg.--that's more salt than what's in two of my thick bacon slices!! don't look, don't look, don't....

Old 11-13-2011, 12:14 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

No.

Old 11-13-2011, 12:56 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

That's naturally occurring sodium in the meat, not an additive to preserve the ground beef. Many foods have naturally occurring minerals including sodium.

A four ounce burger made from ground beef would contain 75 milligrams of sodium. That's about 3% of your recommended daily intake. That's if you don't put salt on your burger before or after you grill it.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:57 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Oh, I forgot. No, I don't check food labels for sodium content.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:01 PM   #5
Head Chef

Yup, I do. It is often very scary.
I especially hate that all the meat providers.. beef, pork and chicken,
are trending toward injecting everything with up to 18% brine solutions.
(Which, along with the added unwanted salt, I am also paying up to 18%
more... which I think is the ultimate reason for the brine injections.)

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 01:03 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Don't want to sound stupid but what harm can too much sodium do? I don't tend to add salt to my food, as personally it doesn't make a difference to me. But what can the natural amounts of sodium cause?
Old 11-13-2011, 01:13 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezlehan
Don't want to sound stupid but what harm can too much sodium do? I don't tend to add salt to my food, as personally it doesn't make a difference to me. But what can the natural amounts of sodium cause?
People with high blood pressure, heart conditions, and those prone to water weight gain have to watch their sodium intake. Probably a factor in some other conditions too.

I check.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:45 PM   #8
Head Chef

Yes
Old 11-13-2011, 01:52 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

I have the grinder for my KA mixer. I buy a large chuck boneless roast and grind it myself. The first time I did this I was pleasantly surprised at how fresh it tasted. Since I started reading labels and cooking from scratch as much as I can, my taste buds are so happy. And my diabetes numbers are really low. Can't be happier.

I realize that for working mothers, scratch cooking is not always possible. But there is no excuse for not reading labels. There are so many chemicals added to our foods. It is time we started a revolt. Fresh or frozen veggies vs. canned. I go with the fresh first, then the frozen. Meats? Well since my first husband was a professional chef, he taught me how to cut my meats. So I try to have my butcher give me pieces right off the side of the animal. I do the trimming myself. Everyday, the truck from Chicago pulls up to his shop and unloads several animals. So I know the meat is fresh. I prefer to add my own salt. Sea Salt.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:06 PM   #10
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I haven't thought to check sodium levels on my ground beef, but yes I check sodium levels on pretty much everything that comes packaged. If I eat too much sodium my ankles balloon up. I stopped routinely salting my food years ago (even before I developed high blood pressure) and have learned to appreciate the natural saltiness of many foods. I do still lightly salt corn on the cob and a few things.

When comparing products I am thinking of buying I compare other things too, but the sodium levels are what usually make my mind up.

Barbara

Tags
food