Do you have a favorite herb, or spice, so some combination

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The herb I use most often is cilantro. Since much of my cooking is Asian or central/South American, cilantro goes in everything. I keep trying to grow it, but have never been successful. Keep blaming it on the Florida weather, but if anyone has advice, I’m all ears.

I really can’t zero in on a particular spice, but it would be something with a kick. I use a lot of various chiles- chipotle, ancho, cayenne, and dried pepper flakes.

The herb I use most often is cilantro. Since much of my cooking is Asian or central/South American, cilantro goes in everything. I keep trying to grow it, but have never been successful. Keep blaming it on the Florida weather, but if anyone has advice, I’m all ears.

I really can’t zero in on a particular spice, but it would be something with a kick. I use a lot of various chiles- chipotle, ancho, cayenne, and dried pepper flakes.

Hi SS. I also use a lot of cilantro in my cooking and even in this climate, it bolts quick as a blink. My nearby Mexican market sells it at a quarter for a big bunch, so I gave up trying. ;)

I really like gulab jamin, as long as the rose petal flavour is only faint or not there.
I'm also not fond of that rose petal seasoning, unless it's really understated.

I discovered cardamom many years ago, but I didn't even know that those white ones, which were all I saw in the 70s, were actually bleached! I would often add it to my rice pudding s, along with the cinnamon and nutmeg. I've also made cookies with cardamom, which were always favorites. I tried it in a few sweetbreads, but I didn't like it as much in those - would have had to experiment more.

Having Scandinavian parents means I was exposed to cardamom as a kid. Love the stuff. I adore the smell. It makes grinding it in a mortar with a pestle a joy, well, at least interesting.

Cilantro is hard to grow. I've tried. It can't take summer heat in Texas. It grows great in the spring, but withers and dies by June.

I use cilantro very sparingly, and only in salsas. On it's own or as a fresh garnish, I get that soap taste. But, in a salsa, it works for me. I wonder if it is the acid from tomatoes and vinegar that changes the taste?

CD

Cilantro is hard to grow. I've tried. It can't take summer heat in Texas. It grows great in the spring, but withers and dies by June.

I use cilantro very sparingly, and only in salsas. On it's own or as a fresh garnish, I get that soap taste. But, in a salsa, it works for me. I wonder if it is the acid from tomatoes and vinegar that changes the taste?

CD

Do you cook your salsa? I detest garnish cilantro, but it's fine cooked in Indian food. I have wondered what sort of chemistry is involved too.

Do you cook your salsa? I detest garnish cilantro, but it's fine cooked in Indian food. I have wondered what sort of chemistry is involved too.

I don't cook my salsas. I do a fine dice on a moderate amount of cilantro leaves, mix it into my salsa, put it in Mason jars, and let it sit in the fridge for at least a few days. That seems to bring out the best flavors of the cilantro, and get rid of the "soap" flavor.

CD

I'm also not fond of that rose petal seasoning, unless it's really understated.
A few years back I was at an Indian restaurant and had Rose Petal Ice cream. Im always up for trying something new, and I hadnt had anything like it before, so I figured , why not.

It was a bizarre experience. My mouth tasted the sweetness and dairy flavor, while my nose picked up on the Rose scent. I couldn't really taste it, but my nose clearly told me it was there.

Wouldn't say it was my favorite, but just a strange sensory experience for me. In the gulab balls, I didn't detect it at all. I just know that that's commonly how they are made. The cardamom clearly is the more dominant flavor.

When I was a kid, my mum told us that lots of perfumes were based on flowers. She showed us how to rub a flower petal on our skin to have "perfume". I remember doing that with rose petal and licking it. I remember that being pretty awful. It may be why I really dislike rose flavoured stuff now.

Back
Top Bottom