Everything Bagel Seasoning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
After recently discussing Trader Joe's Everything Bagel Seasoning I put together a version with less salt for my mostly green salad needs.
I tested it on top of my lunch salad and it tasted great, so thought I'd pass on the idea for a creation of your own.

My Everything Bagel Seasoning

¼ cup black sesame seeds
¼ cup. white sesame seeds
¼ cup crushed sliced almonds
¼ cup sunflower seeds
1 Tbsp. dried minced garlic (I used Penzey's Roasted Garlic granules)
2 Tbsp. dried minced onion

2 tsp. flake salt (I used Hawaiian Sea Salt)

Mix everything except salt in a small skillet and toast till fragrant and slightly toasted. Transfer to a heat proof bowl and stir in salt. Let cool completely then transfer to a jar. Keep in freezer to maintain freshness.

Last edited:
This sounds wonderful. I love nutty garlicky seasonings for salad toppings. Thanks, Kay! Copied.

Sounds great Kay, I love crunchies on my salads and stuff!

I could go for a few sprinkles of that, too. :)

Also, what you said about keeping in freezer to maintain freshness is right on, as nuts and seeds go rancid at room temp quickly. Very important tip. :)

On a Montreal bagel!

K-L, that looks great. I like the idea of sunflower and almond instead of just poppy seed. I'm going to mention that to a nearby bagel joint that specializes in special or "different" bagels.

I just had their jalapeno/cheddar/onion bagels, and they were fantastic.

On a Montreal bagel!

K-L, that looks great. I like the idea of sunflower and almond instead of just poppy seed. I'm going to mention that to a nearby bagel joint that specializes in special or "different" bagels.

I just had their jalapeno/cheddar/onion bagels, and they were fantastic.
I love jalapeno bagels. I can't get jalapeno bagels at the place I used to get them.:(

I made some that were pretty good.

Today I added 1/4 cup of Pepitas to the mix. :yum:

Attachments

• P1240003[1].jpg
    P1240003[1].jpg
    78 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
I LOVE pepitas and almost always have some on hand. They're one of my fave snackies. Great addition to your blend, Kay!

RF...I watched the video and my attention kept drifting towards the cute little happy baby with the cranial helmet :wub: - my grandson had to wear one of those his first year of life too, so I was kind of distracted. :LOL:

No doubt, TJ's product in the store is a good buy at $2 but my reason for making my own custom blend was a more complex but lower salt version.

This is the ingredient list for Trader Joe's version...in order of content.

SESAME SEEDS, SEA SALT FLAKES, DRIED MINCED GARLIC, DRIED MINCED ONION, BLACK SESAME SEEDS, POPPY SEEDS

No doubt, TJ's product in the store is a good buy at $2 but my reason for making my own custom blend was a more complex but lower salt version...
"Lower salt version" Bingo! That is one reason I started mixing my own spice blends. A lot of them start with salt as the first ingredient! And now that I've been doing this, my doctor told me that I need to start using more salt. [emoji38]

Here's our version of the Ultimate Sunday Morning Bagel.

Nom nom nom nom.

Nice!

Are the tomatoes raw, or par-baked/roasted?

If roasted a bit, I love tomatoes topped with spice/herb blend as in an Irish breakfast.

Last edited:
The Roma tomatoes are raw Bucky. I don't think I'd like them cooked on this.
The layers from the bottom to the top are butter on the toasted bagel, soft cream cheese, capers, paper thin red onion, lox, tomato, s&p and the custom Everything but the Bagel topping.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom