Favorite spice or herb?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Next time you're at Trader Joe's, check out the rainbow pepper in the grinder. Excellent, in a reusable grinder for $2.00

I second that!

Also try mixing a few allspice berries with your regular black peppercorns and grinding them together.

Last edited:
I like this place because all orders ship free, and they include a freebie with every order.

Chives - Also Known As Allium Schoenoprasum - My Spice Sage

I LOVE Spice Sage!!

I bought this in November 2014 and still have plenty: Amazon.com : Badia Gourmet Peppercorn Blend, 16-ounces : Grocery & Gourmet Food

I'm pretty loyal to Penzeys, but I a few things are outrageously expensive, including the peppercorns and the vanilla extract. I make my own extract.

LOL I bought the exact bottle from Amazon in February 2014.

Other than that, it is mostly freshly ground Sea Salt and freshly ground Pepper. I have found that there is a difference in the strength of flavor with the Sea Salt. I have to make sure it has no iodine. I have a thyroid problem and I take meds for it. Doctor's orders. No iodine. :angel:

That's interesting. When I was taking a chemistry class, I had to recreate an experiment at home and had to buy salt with no added iodine to complete it. I decided to just keep using the salt and after a while, I began to have just a terrible problem with over sweating to the point where I finally made a doctor's appointment for it. I got the I-don't-know-there's-nothing-wrong spiel, but the doctor had mentioned diet and so on the way home, I remembered the salt. I went to the store and got the iodized salt and in just a couple days, my sweating problem disappeared. To everyone's relief!

Oh, by the way, I've been getting McCormick's minced garlic in a jar for almost a year and a half and I've never had a problem with it. It's easy to add to dishes needing garlic but I'm ashamed to say I just guesstimate how much to put in when the recipe calls for a minced garlic. I go through maybe a jar every month, month and a half. It keeps very well in the fridge after it's opened.

Addie, next time, get the minced garlic in oil. The garlic in water will spatter when you add it to a hot pan with oil to cook it with some onion, etc.

You know Andy, I usually chop or slice a whole head of garlic and put it in olive oil. It only sits in the oil for no longer than a week or two and then it is time to do the next head. We use a lot of garlic in this house. And I do keep it in the fridge. But I haven't been doing it lately and Pirate decided to save me some work. So he bought the jar. :angel:

Oh, by the way, I've been getting McCormick's minced garlic in a jar for almost a year and a half and I've never had a problem with it. It's easy to add to dishes needing garlic but I'm ashamed to say I just guesstimate how much to put in when the recipe calls for a minced garlic. I go through maybe a jar every month, month and a half. It keeps very well in the fridge after it's opened.

The rule of thumb is that one clove is about a teaspoon minced.

You know Andy, I usually chop or slice a whole head of garlic and put it in olive oil. It only sits in the oil for no longer than a week or two and then it is time to do the next head. We use a lot of garlic in this house. And I do keep it in the fridge. But I haven't been doing it lately and Pirate decided to save me some work. So he bought the jar. :angel:

Addie, you have to be careful with storing garlic in oil. It's a great place to grow botulism! I'd stick with the store bought stuff.

I keep whole coriander in one of my empty TJ's griners, and also another with Porcini mushrooms.

I had to make Mom a batch of my peppercorn blend...after she used mine she just had to have it for her eggs.

I have porcini in a grinder, too...I'm sure I got the idea from you.:rolleyes:

Addie, you have to be careful with storing garlic in oil. It's a great place to grow botulism! I'd stick with the store bought stuff.

Andy, I use garlic up so fast that it doesn't have a chance to grow anything. I must use a whole bulb a week at least. And I keep it in the coldest part of my fridge. :angel:

Andy, I use garlic up so fast that it doesn't have a chance to grow anything. I must use a whole bulb a week at least. And I keep it in the coldest part of my fridge. :angel:

A week is too long. Two weeks is way too long.

Well, Addie, if we don't see you showing up on DC anymore, I guess we'll just figure that the garlic got ya. :D

Addie, I think you should just use that jarred garlic and thank Pirate for possibly saving your life.

Next time you're at Trader Joe's, check out the rainbow pepper in the grinder. Excellent, in a reusable grinder for $2.00

I'll definitely do that. Added to my ever-growing list! :ohmy::) Thanks, Kay.

I also like the ideas of the additives to ground pepper that some of you mentioned. I need to check out the dried porcini - sounds like something I would love.

Last edited:
I'll definitely do that. Added to my ever-growing list! :ohmy::) Thanks, Kay.

I also like the ideas of the additives to ground pepper that some of you mentioned. I need to check out the dried porcini - sounds like something I would love.

Ground, dried porcini adds that extra kick to many dishes, especially those focused on mushrooms.:yum:

I ground a package of dried porcini to powder in my mini food processor. I keep it in a Tupperware midge stored in the fridge. I use a pinch or two in anything I want to kick up or enhance. Like in pilaf, mushroom soup, and meat loaf. So many more dishes also. Ground last a long time also.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom