"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-12-2016, 01:26 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Great (or grate) idea, Kay. A friend gave me a chunk of Himalayan pink salt, I can't figure out what to do with it. I bashed it with a hammer, tried a microplane grater, and all that came off was a couple flakes. Hard as a rock. Wonder if a spice grinder would work. No trip to TJ's in the near future, but I'm adding those spice mills to my list for future.
I see what you did there even if it was unintentional
__________________

__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 01:30 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,347
Ummm...Dawg, are you sure your chunk isn't chunk intended to use to cook on or use to serve cold dishes? A chunk for cooking on is on my list.
__________________

__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 01:32 PM   #23
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,899
I just wanted to add what a bargain those refillable TJs grinders are, at $2.00 filled.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 01:37 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,146
Flavored Salts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Ummm...Dawg, are you sure your chunk isn't chunk intended to use to cook on or use to serve cold dishes? A chunk for cooking on is on my list.

I could cook an olive, maybe a small shrimp on it. It's about 1 1/2 inches by 3/4 inch thick.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 01:42 PM   #25
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I could cook an olive, maybe a small shrimp on it. It's about 1 1/2 inches by 3/4 inch.
Tiny Shrimp? Here ya go Dawg..

__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 01:50 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,146
Kay!

Hmm. Wonder where they found head-on shrimp.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 11:10 PM   #27
Sous Chef
 
rodentraiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Puget Sound, WA
Posts: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Great (or grate) idea, Kay. A friend gave me a chunk of Himalayan pink salt, I can't figure out what to do with it. I bashed it with a hammer, tried a microplane grater, and all that came off was a couple flakes. Hard as a rock. Wonder if a spice grinder would work. No trip to TJ's in the near future, but I'm adding those spice mills to my list for future.
Oh, don't smash up the Himalayan salt block!

I was watching a Chef John video and he heated the salt block up and then put some shrimp on it to cook.

Food Wishes Video Recipes: Shrimp Cooked on Himalayan Pink Salt – I Sherpa Hope You Like It!

I have kosher salt I use a lot of, for salt roasted potatoes and salt roasted chicken. I got regular sea salt but I never use that, so I'm going to give it to a friend. Otherwise, I'd love to get some more salts, but I don't know what I would use them for.
__________________
rodentraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 01:01 AM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,146
Flavored Salts

I would have to make all my food in one inch pieces and cook the pieces one at a time, as that would be all that could fit on my tiny salt block.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 08:36 AM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I have kosher salt I use a lot of, for salt roasted potatoes and salt roasted chicken. I got regular sea salt but I never use that, so I'm going to give it to a friend. Otherwise, I'd love to get some more salts, but I don't know what I would use them for.
I shared this page with a friend recently after we were talking about salts at lunch: http://food52.com/blog/3377-10-salts-to-know

I love the salt cellars on the page, too.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 12:03 AM   #30
Sous Chef
 
rodentraiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Puget Sound, WA
Posts: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I shared this page with a friend recently after we were talking about salts at lunch: 10 Salts Every Cook Should Know - Ingredient Guide

I love the salt cellars on the page, too.
Thanks! I bookmarked it to look at later.
__________________

__________________
rodentraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
other, salt

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.