"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices

Old 09-08-2013, 11:38 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Fresh bay leaves versus dried

I saw fresh bay leaves in the store today; I always keep dried ones at home for soups. Does anyone prefer this fresh to dried? Thanks.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:46 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I think CWS has a bay tree and uses fresh. I would like to try some, have only used the dry. I would think the fresh would dry well too, no waste!

Old 09-08-2013, 11:50 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

To my dismay, I have never found fresh bays leaves. They have a more pronounced flavor than dried, so take that into account if you use the fresh.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:52 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

I only use fresh because, as DL wrote, I have a bay tree. It is a tiny tree that stays out in the summer and inside in the winter. I usually tear the leaf before I put it in whatever. I like fresh leaves because they are soft and so if you can't find them in the dish, it isn't so dismaying. I can't really compare the flavour re: fresh vs. dried because I haven't used dried for years.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:26 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

I have a bay tree, too. Here, it winters over outdoors. It's about 20 feet tall. I usually use dry because it's more convenient - I have them in a large decorative jar on the kitchen counter. As Hoot said, the fresh ones have more flavor because the water in them has not evaporated, but I find there's not much difference in the finished dish. I think it's just this year's food fad

Hoot, if you ever come to Portsmouth, I'll give you a branch
Old 09-08-2013, 01:16 PM   #6
Sous Chef

I only use fresh because that's what's growing next to the rosemary bush at my back door. I do toss a few of the fresh into the back of my cupboards and they dry out but I only do that because my mother-in-law insisted it keeps the bugs away. So far, she's right.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:00 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldvine View Post
I only use fresh because that's what's growing next to the rosemary bush at my back door. I do toss a few of the fresh into the back of my cupboards and they dry out but I only do that because my mother-in-law insisted it keeps the bugs away. So far, she's right.
I have heard that also. There is something to those Old Wives Tales.

I should look the next time I am at Market Basket. They have a large fresh herb department. Would love to try some in beef or lamb stew.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:59 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I have a bay tree, too. Here, it winters over outdoors. It's about 20 feet tall. I usually use dry because it's more convenient - I have them in a large decorative jar on the kitchen counter. As Hoot said, the fresh ones have more flavor because the water in them has not evaporated, but I find there's not much difference in the finished dish. I think it's just this year's food fad

Thanks, I will keep it mind, though who knows when I will get to Portsmouth again.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:47 AM   #9
Head Chef

A few months ago, when this thread was started, I probably would have answered that there isnt much of a difference.

The past few weeks, Ive been using fresh bay leaves from the smallest, sorriest bay leaf plant I grew over the summer ( and is still kicking).

I dont know if its the variety ( assuming there is more than one) or whatever, but to me, the fresh bay leaves have a much better taste than its dried counterpart.

Its also possible that the dried ones may have been sitting around in my cupboard or on the store shelf for a long time, and lost its potency.

But I absolutely love the fresh leaves.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:42 AM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post

My daughters ex boyfriend had a bay tree also. But he told me it was an evergreen?
We are in the south, but we do have winter.

Tags
None