Fresh turmeric vs powder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Argamemnon

Senior Cook
On a Thai website they were saying that turmeric powder can taste really bad and that we should definitely use fresh, is that true? And does anyone know how to preserve fresh turmeric? Thanks.

Important: By ordering fresh ingredients you agree to our terms. Please read carefully.

Brand: Product of USA Size: 4.0 oz Price: $ 5.99 Qty:
8600000438.jpg
PLEASE READ PERISHABLE

To store fresh turmeric, wipe dry, wrap with a paper towel and store in a ziplock bag in the refrigerator. Properly stored, turmeric roots can be kept up to one month or even longer.
See Thai recipes using fresh turmeric root: Traditional Thai Red Curry and Pork Satay.
Also see turmeric powder.
PLEASE READ PERISHABLE TERMS OF SHIPPING BEFORE ORDERING. To grow your own turmeric, bury broken pieces of the root about a half-inch deep in a pot filled with potting soil. Keep in the dark, and be sure to keep the soil moist and the pot covered with plastic wrap. Once sprouted keep indoors during the winter months. The plant will have large broad leaves like hostas and white flowers like hyacinths.
Availability: Ships in 2-3 business days

Brand: Product of USA Size: 4.0 oz Price: $ 5.99

How funny. I've frequented Asian stores all over the country and don't remember ever even seeing fresh turmeric! Maybe I did, but didn't recognize it! Since it looks a lot like ginger, I wonder if it would take to my favorite ginger storage method (cut into chunks, put in a jar, then cover with sake, vermouth or rice vinegar. The liquid makes a great seasoning).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom