"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices
Old 08-30-2008, 10:45 PM   #11
Head Chef
I grind mine and add sugar and freeze in ice cube trys and it works for me.

Cook with passion or don't cook at all
Dave Hutchins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 07:08 AM   #12
Chief Eating Officer
Why do you add sugar Dave? What if you want to use it in an application that does not call for sugar?

You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 07:13 AM   #13
Executive Chef
If you find that you have too much fresh on hand, you can freeze the full piece. When you need it, simply grate it, still frozen. There is a nominal increase in water content, but not enough to alter a recipe. Ginger has remarkable health qualities, too. A tea of hot water, fresh lemon wedges and ginger slices does wonders for joints. It's not bad for headaches, either.
How can we sleep while our beds are burning???
VeraBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:25 PM   #14
Head Chef
Vera is right on with the teas. I add a little honey, it's refreshing and spicy.

I put my ginger ground from fresh in some white wine last month, so far it's staying really nice in the refrigerator. If I had had Sherry, I'd have used that.
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:57 PM   #15
Master Chef
I wash my ginger and then freeze it.......makes chopping that much easier......putting some shavings in hot water along with some peppermint tea (though it's not necessary to have the tea) is a great way to combat morning sickness (check with your Dr. first to get the approval) and nausea............I do the same with galanghal root as well
The only difference between a "cook" and a "Chef" is who cleans up the kitchen.
expatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:28 AM   #16
Head Chef
A couple years ago, I read the tip that said to keep ginger in the fridge covered with sherry. I don't like using the ginger (I find it gets soggy and hard to grate) but the sherry--mmmm, mmmm. I use it to deglaze pans after I cook chicken, or in stir fries, or to finish sauteed mushrooms.

For fresh ginger in a recipe, I keep a couple pieces in the freezer, and grate it with a microplane. No need to peel.

I also keep some in a flower pot--I just harvested a big fresh piece from a root I planted last year.
I just haven't been the same
since that house fell on my sister.
sparrowgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 03:43 PM   #17
Assistant Cook
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
HEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was going to post that! Yep, I use dry sherry too. I just keep mine on my open pantry shelf.

hello again,found this interesting and i have to say the jarred stuff is horrible well especially over here in the uk,fresh is better ,my question is what does soaking it in dry sherry do,i assume it acts as a preserve but what if anything does it do to the taste
yum yum !!!!
neilkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 03:54 PM   #18
Senior Cook
I buy it in bulk (a 10kg box which translates to about 5pounds) at the big fruit and veg market for a fraction of the cost - roughly chop it and then zip it with my stick blender instead of grating it - then pack it into little bags in the freezer - ginger for a year !
TanyaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:34 AM   #19
Master Chef
Funny, I just did this. I peel and cut it into 1/2 inch or so chunks. Then I sterilize a jar and fill it with the ginger and cover it with one of the following: Sherry, vermouth, saki. If I'm desperate and that is what in the house I'd probably use anything alcoholic (I suppose you could use vinegar). This is NOT true canning. I put it in the fridge and use it up w/i a few months. Because I don't have a reliable Asian grocer, this is what I do. For those of you who do, I recommend "sushi ginger" for many uses (especially marinades).
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 02:23 PM   #20
Executive Chef
Does the ginger not soak up the sherry? I just bought a finger of ginger and it may take a while to use it all. I certainly want to preserve it in the best way possible.

Callisto in NC is offline   Reply With Quote