"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices

Old 08-11-2012, 04:40 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock Pot
Yes, well the laurel wreath thing was the real reason I bought them (sheepish grin).
Hmm. Got a hot glue gun, a twig, straw, or styrofoam form? It's the Olympics, after all.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:59 PM   #22
Senior Cook

heh- seriously already I have a use for my excess bulk spices (so far also peppercorns, taco powder, chili powder, cayenne pepper, oregano, pickling spices and thyme). The lead singer in my band has her birthday coming up next week and we give each other little gifts on our birthdays. I have these in mason jars, jellie jars, etc. A trip to the dollar store for a basket and that will make a nice little birthday gift. A couple of those a year to different people and your spices are, like, free.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:01 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

That's a great idea, Stock Pot! You will include a laurel wreath I hope!

Another nice idea to add is a whole vanilla bean to a jar of sugar.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:47 PM   #24
Executive Chef

I'm trying to picture a pound of bay leaves. Even made into a wreath. I do like the spice gift basket idea.

Two spices I particulary like are Coriander seeds and whole cumin seeds. You can lightly dry toast them before use, then grind or use whole depending on your recipe.

One of my favorites, I add to lots of dishes, is fresh ginger. The first time I use it, I peel the whole knobbies using the back of a teaspoon to rub off the skin. Grate it all and put in a freezer bag and freeze. Or if it's really fresh and juicy, you can first freeze little piles that will hold together, then put in a freezer bag. It keeps indefinetly in the freezer and you can just remove however much you want.

I grate/ zest ( washed) lemon peels and freeze this too. This isn't exactly a hot and spicy. But don't you sometimes want a splash of lemon or lemon flavor and no lemons in the house. In the summer I make fresh lemonade, and right now I have a pretty good size amount of zest saved.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:53 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

+1

Love ginger, Whiska, could eat it on cardboard. I too keep it in the freezer. I freeze my knobs whole, without peeling. When I need some, I pull out the root and run it across the microplane grater, no peeling needed, then back into the ziplock and freezer.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:05 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
I grate/ zest ( washed) lemon peels and freeze this too. This isn't exactly a hot and spicy. But don't you sometimes want a splash of lemon or lemon flavor and no lemons in the house. In the summer I make fresh lemonade, and right now I have a pretty good size amount of zest saved.
That's good to know. I was wondering if that would work. What do you do to freeze it? Do you spread it on a baking sheet so it doesn't freeze in big clumps?
Old 08-12-2012, 11:15 AM   #27
Certified Pretend Chef

I recommend not buying (herbs and) spices with the intent of finding a use for them. First find a recipe that sounds good to you then buy the spices to make it. Over time you will accumulate the spices you actually have a use for.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:56 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
That's good to know. I was wondering if that would work. What do you do to freeze it? Do you spread it on a baking sheet so it doesn't freeze in big clumps?

Zest the lemon rind directly on a small plate. Spread it out with your finger. Try not to break any real zest curls, if there are any. Stick it in the freezer. Once frozen, ( doesn't take long) add to a freezer type zip lock bag. Done.

-- Good Idea Andy. Buy what you need when you are going to use.

Also it's a good idea to Label what you put in jars. I have some red powders, not sure if they are chilies ( probably) but what kinds ??

Tags
chicken, fish, spices, herbs