"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices

Old 06-22-2012, 11:32 AM   #1
Cook

Good hot spices? Herbs & spices that go well in chicken & fish?

What are some good hot spices?I thought of getting more spices & herbs lately.Here is what I have.
Sea salt & black peppercorn.Garlic powder,seasoned salt.Ground cinnamon ,paprika,cayenne(mcormick gourmet),gr cumin,thyme,& turmeric.
The last 3 are fairly new to me.I just got turmeric yesterday.I regularly eat fish & chicken with rice.Would like to spice it up.I heard bay leafs & oregano go good on almost any food.I keep all my spices in one sealed container,is that bad?It is hard to find solid cap spices locally.I noticed most herbs & spices are cheaper online even with shipping then buying locally.The ground turmeric cost me $3.98 per .95oz.Online I found it organic by the lb for $18 shipped.I didn't even know their was organic spices lol.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:36 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

While it's not hot, I love thyme. It goes really well with both chicken and fish. Old Bay seasoning blend is great with fish and seafood. Emeril's Essence is nice to have on hand, you can mix it up yourself and control the salt, it also has some heat. Chipotle Tabasco has a wonderful flavor. Horseradish and mustard seed or powder have kick. Oregano and bay leaves are indeed multipurpose.

Take a gander through Penzey's catalog or website, they have a great collection of herbs and spices, along with ways to use them.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:49 AM   #3
Executive Chef

I make blends out of varieties of dried peppers. I will use chipotle, ancho, pasilla, guajillo, habanero. I just break off pieces randomly and toss them all into the spice grinder. Then I bottle it as a pepper blend. I use it quite often...I change it up according to availability. The peppers are very affordable and last forever in your cupboard.

Garam Masala is good.
Fenugreek
Black Mustard seeds
Old 06-22-2012, 12:10 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Smoked paprika, chilpolte chili powder, cumin seeds, brown mustard seeds, a good curry powder (a friend makes mine for me in exchange for fresh eggs--it is a cross between a curry and garam masala). I keep dried curry leaves on hand as well. Dried Scot Bonnet peppers add a punch (1/4 of one goes a long way).
Old 06-22-2012, 12:26 PM   #5
Executive Chef

saffron,lemon thyme,basil,tarragon,fennel seeds & star anise all work with fish/chicken.if you've got a costco nearby buy a tub of kirkland ground malabar black pepper,tastes great & it's got a kick to it.you've already got paprika,but you can get hot paprika too
Old 06-22-2012, 12:30 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Is there a particular cuisine that you are very fond of? If so, gear up on spices used in its preparation.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:27 PM   #7
Cook

Thanks all!I had penzey bookmarked,but forgot about it.Been looking at this site Mountain Rose Herbs | Bulk organic herbs, spices & essential oils
Stores like penzey,costco,wholefoods etc. are over a hr drive for me.I will try to make a custom blend after experimenting a lil.Ill get a dehydrater sometime.I eat serranos like potato chips lol.Bet they would do well dried too.I go to 3 stores sometimes to find them in stock.Serrano always sells out first in my area.I like asian & italian cuisine the most.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:43 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbs View Post
Thanks all!I had penzey bookmarked,but forgot about it.Been looking at this site Mountain Rose Herbs | Bulk organic herbs, spices & essential oils
Stores like penzey,costco,wholefoods etc. are over a hr drive for me.I will try to make a custom blend after experimenting a lil.Ill get a dehydrater sometime.I eat serranos like potato chips lol.Bet they would do well dried too.I go to 3 stores sometimes to find them in stock.Serrano always sells out first in my area.I like asian & italian cuisine the most.
I order Penzey's spices online and have them delivered. I don't think there's even a Penzey's store in Virginia.

Herbs and spices generally used in Italian cuisine include basil, parsley, oregano, bay leaves and dried red chile flakes for heat.

Ingredients in Asian cuisine depend on which cuisine you're talking about - Japanese, Chinese, Thai, Korean, etc., all have distinctive flavors. Some hot Asian ingredients include chile-garlic paste, small chile peppers, Szechuan peppercorns and sauces like sriracha and chile oil.

What do you mean when you say all your spices are in one sealed container?
Old 06-22-2012, 04:25 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbs
Danger! Danger!

We are hicks from the sticks. Our nearest Costco is 2.5 hours away, Whole Foods, etc., even further away.

We spent major bucks just walking in the door of the stores you mentioned during a recent trip to Mpls. What a wonderful experience though!

You probably don't need too many bulk spices. I go through a lot of black peppercorns (Penzey's Tellicherry), but otherwise, just get what you'll use within a year or so. However, whole nutmegs and cardemon pods will keep forever.

You will never regret getting a dehydrator.

Have fun!
Old 06-22-2012, 04:29 PM   #10
Cook

Its like a double seal.Instead of just leaving them on a shelf or drawer,I put them in a coffee jar.Thanks!

Tags
chicken, fish, spices, herbs