Help, What is this Herb?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seanjoburg

Assistant Cook
Planted a mixed bag of herb seeds a couple of months ago. These plants have been sprouting along with the other herbs. I figured it should be a herb as its not growing in any other area of my garden?:wacko:

Attachments

• IMG_20190506_165338.jpg
    IMG_20190506_165338.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_20190502_172245.jpg
    IMG_20190502_172245.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 143
It looks like mint to me. If it is, it will overtake your herb garden.

Welcome to Discuss Cooking! :flowers:

Not sure it's mint. Mint leaves tend to be more pointed at the tip.

Pull off a leaf and crush it. The smell should be distinctive if it's mint.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!

That looks like some sort of mint - peppermint has the rounded leaves - though usually mints are not grown from seeds, and the seeds are very small - smaller than poppy seeds. Remove a leaf and crush it between your fingers - what does it smell like?

Looks like we were all posting at the same time!

I just looked it up on Grower's Exchange (couldn't copy the link, for some reason), but didn't see anything exactly like that - most either pointed, or serrated edges. And the mints aren't growing in an irregular pattern like yours - two opposite each other, the next two at 90° to those, and so forth. The best test will be the smell of the leaves.

Last edited:
All the mints I have ever seen, tend to grow taller than that before getting more leaves. If it's in the mint family, a cross section of the stem is square. You should be able to feel that. The mint family is huge and includes things like basil.

Thanks for the responses guys. A lady from work identified it as Borage. Search results on on Google seem to indicate the same. I'll know for sure once it flowers

Thanks for getting back to us.

Given the description I read about the fuzzy texture of the leaves, it's not worth the effort.

That makes sense. Though borage is used as a culinary herb in some areas, it is used more as a medicinal herb, usually using the roots. And you may want to research the side effects, though, if I recall, the seeds were the main culprit.

I used to grew Borage once. I occasionally used it in salads but I more used the tiny blue flowers in ice cubes. Loved them!

They are self seeding and could easily take over the herb garden if not checked.

Am just this year starting some from seed as I have a place for them to be left alone. Unfortunately I am not known for my seed starting skills. Just have to wait and see - they are only at the 2/4 leaf stage as of yet.

Back
Top Bottom