"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices
Old 07-09-2007, 01:53 PM   #11
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by Quicker Thinker Upper
Hey, can someone comment on my vinagrette question?

I've read in other posts (related to infused oils) something about throwing a little vinegar into the infusion to stop the botulism toxin (among other toxins). A vinagrette, obviously, already contains vinegar, so I don't understand why a vinagrette would spoil after a week...also, note that in my question, I'm talking about an easy breezy vinagrette with just oil, vinegar, and mustard.

Thanks again.
It's not necessarily vinegar that helps prevent the growth of botulism, it's acid. Lemon juice works better IMO because the flavor is much more complimentary to the infused oil and to anything you'd use it on.

Regarding the vinaigrette, it should last longer than a week assuming that there is no raw ingredients in there. However, the flavor will change so you'll need to adjust it. In that sense it's better to just make small batches so that the flavor can stay integral. Anytime you introduce different flavors together, time is a factor. With how long it will last, I have no idea as I've never done it. My vinaigrettes always have some sort of raw component and I don't make more than I need for a few days at most.

"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it."
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
ironchef is offline   Reply With Quote