Herbs and Oil for dipping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

college_cook

Head Chef
I've taken a sharp interest in expanding my Italian repertoire recently, and threw this together today. Its very simple, but I liked it a lot. What does everyone else put into their favorite herb/oil mix?

2 parts Thyme
2 Parts Oregano
2 Parts Sage
2 Parts fresh Minced garlic*
1 Part Rosemary
1 Part Basil

S+P to taste

Finely chop all of your herbs and garlic and combine. Add S+P to taste and combine the mixture with approximately double the volume of good extra virgin olive oil. Serve with warm Italian bread.

A note about the garlic- I realize all that fresh garlic might be overpowering for some, so I was thinking a great alternative that would give a different flavor would be to confit fresh garlic in your EVOO, and then use the garlic-infused oil in place of the EVOO.

Any oil infused with fresh herbs or garlic or any fresh ingredient that could have come into cvontact with soil is a botulism risk.

Make sure you keep it refrigerated and use or throw away within 10-14 days or less.

Yup - I second Jennyema here. Do not EVER think of preserving or confiting garlic in oil, unless you have a death wish or a serious desire to take a vacation at your local hospital.

Just make up enough of the mixture for one night's serving & use the amount of garlic of choice. Don't plan to save in the fridge for more than a day or two at most.

Back
Top Bottom