"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices
Old 02-05-2008, 03:28 PM   #1
Head Chef
Send a message via AIM to college_cook
Herbs and Oil for dipping

I've taken a sharp interest in expanding my Italian repertoire recently, and threw this together today. Its very simple, but I liked it a lot. What does everyone else put into their favorite herb/oil mix?

2 parts Thyme
2 Parts Oregano
2 Parts Sage
2 Parts fresh Minced garlic*
1 Part Rosemary
1 Part Basil

S+P to taste

Finely chop all of your herbs and garlic and combine. Add S+P to taste and combine the mixture with approximately double the volume of good extra virgin olive oil. Serve with warm Italian bread.

A note about the garlic- I realize all that fresh garlic might be overpowering for some, so I was thinking a great alternative that would give a different flavor would be to confit fresh garlic in your EVOO, and then use the garlic-infused oil in place of the EVOO.

college_cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 03:39 PM   #2
Master Chef
Any oil infused with fresh herbs or garlic or any fresh ingredient that could have come into cvontact with soil is a botulism risk.

Make sure you keep it refrigerated and use or throw away within 10-14 days or less.

Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 03:47 PM   #3
Master Chef
Yup - I second Jennyema here. Do not EVER think of preserving or confiting garlic in oil, unless you have a death wish or a serious desire to take a vacation at your local hospital.

Just make up enough of the mixture for one night's serving & use the amount of garlic of choice. Don't plan to save in the fridge for more than a day or two at most.
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote