"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices

Old 05-22-2012, 01:21 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Harry: SAWGRASS SHOPPING CENTRE

Harry,

You two must of had a blast shopping ...

I have had uncountable times:

Chocolate Rose Petals ... ( stunning ! )

On a savoury note: truffle salt for my Fettuccini and / or my Risotto

Have lovely evening.

Margi.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:46 PM   #12
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Black pepper and strawberries is so fantastic. Time for some of that! Thanks for the reminder. Steve!

Old 05-23-2012, 07:20 AM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
can't believe you're surprised claire...never heard the song"only mad dogs & englishmen go out in the midday sun"? we're all slightly touched over 'ere darlin'.it's what we do.........!

harry
I definitely know the quote. You've heard of Anna of "The King and I" and "Anna and the King" fame? That's how she wound up widowed. She and her husband were stationed in India, and all the locals told him to wait until evening to travel. He ignored the advice!

Yes, you can die of sun stroke. And probably of eating three puds after every meal!
Old 05-23-2012, 12:39 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
If you're feeling adventurous, here's a recipe for Strawberry and Black Pepper Ice Cream.
Steve--It's not strawberry season, yet, but I have some strawberries in the freezer. Do you think I could substitute those for fresh berries?
Old 05-23-2012, 12:56 PM   #15
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Steve--It's not strawberry season, yet, but I have some strawberries in the freezer. Do you think I could substitute those for fresh berries?
Yes, I almost always use frozen strawberries (or any berry) when making ice cream or sorbet. I sometimes think the quality of frozen strawberries is better than fresh, since they are flash frozen and aren't subject to all the handling that fresh berries are. I don't know how many times I've bought a box of "fresh" strawberries, only to find mold in the bottom.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:47 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Yes, I almost always use frozen strawberries (or any berry) when making ice cream or sorbet. I sometimes think the quality of frozen strawberries is better than fresh, since they are flash frozen and aren't subject to all the handling that fresh berries are. I don't know how many times I've bought a box of "fresh" strawberries, only to find mold in the bottom.
Good to know--I'll use up the strawberries I have in the freezer. Might have to toss in some blueberries or other berry to round up the amount. Steve--try going to a local "u-pick" and pick your own. I go and pick about 24 quarts the 2nd week of strawberry season--I want the berries ripe, so don't go the first week. It takes me about 2-3 hours to fill my six baskets--I'm a two-handed picker, so I can pick almost as fast as the high school kids who are getting paid to pick. Around here, the strawberry patches are clean and easy picking. I prefer to go early in the morning--it gets too darn hot otherwise. That's the best way to get lots of strawberries for jam, pie, freezing. One hot morning picking, two days preserving them.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:43 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
I hate that, when there's mouldy strawberries. I find that the difference in quality is really pronounced with raspberries. I never buy fresh raspberries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Good to know--I'll use up the strawberries I have in the freezer. Might have to toss in some blueberries or other berry to round up the amount. Steve--try going to a local "u-pick" and pick your own. I go and pick about 24 quarts the 2nd week of strawberry season--I want the berries ripe, so don't go the first week. It takes me about 2-3 hours to fill my six baskets--I'm a two-handed picker, so I can pick almost as fast as the high school kids who are getting paid to pick. Around here, the strawberry patches are clean and easy picking. I prefer to go early in the morning--it gets too darn hot otherwise. That's the best way to get lots of strawberries for jam, pie, freezing. One hot morning picking, two days preserving them.
Unfortunately, around here, the "u-pick" place is quite fond of artificial fertilizers and pesticides.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:00 AM   #18
Master Chef

I love eating vanilla ice cream with a shot of whiskey and ground black pepper, adding fresh basil to homemade lemonade, Madeira cake with marmite and melted cheese on top and I eat my Marie biscuits with butter and grated cheddar lol! They're all good though!

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:51 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

I add balsamic vinegar to blueberries. I also like blueberries with fresh French tarragon.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:26 AM   #20
Half Baked

I make a lemon cake with fresh rosemary in the icing.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
herbs, other, spices