"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2012, 10:05 AM   #21
Sous Chef

I put Chinese 5 spice mix in cakes, cookies... Sometimes, I make shortcake, and sprinkle it on top with some sugar before baking.

I also put Himalayan salt crystals in shortcake. Somehow, they taste great with the sugar, butter etc, if you dont overdo it by putting too many in. :) Himalayan salt crystals taste great with bread too. I sprinkle them on the dough, after the bread has risen, and just before baking.

Mel! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:21 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Lime basil sorbet is one of my favorite desserts. Balsamic vinegar on ice cream and black pepper on strawberries are also good combinations.
I did strawberries with balsamic vinegar and black pepper as the fruit component of my breakfast this morning. I have champagne vinegar at the house in the City...thinking that and the black pepper on strawberries would be very tasty (I lived the vinegar on the berries and the black pepper).

Old 06-19-2012, 10:26 PM   #23
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Oh! I love strawberries with fresh ground black pepper! Different taste all together and it's great!
Old 06-19-2012, 11:58 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Oh I am so glad to know that I am not crazy for putting black pepper on fruit......I often put salt and pepper on cantaloupe. It's my favorite way to eat it! Going to have to try it on strawberries now, should have some ripe in a couple of days ermm, if we ever get any sunshine.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:00 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebunny View Post
Oh I am so glad to know that I am not crazy for putting black pepper on fruit......I often put salt and pepper on cantaloupe. It's my favorite way to eat it! Going to have to try it on strawberries now, should have some ripe in a couple of days ermm, if we ever get any sunshine.
I like to add grated lime zest and freshly ground black pepper on Greek yogurt (plain) and on top of buttermilk (which I like to drink).
Old 06-20-2012, 12:59 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

has anyone mentioned candied fennel seeds? i love them after a good indian meal. like teeny little good-n-plenty, but with fennel instead of licorice inside.

and speaking of sweet herbs, what about chervil? i've taught the neighbourhood kids that it's a candy herb.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:40 AM   #27
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
has anyone mentioned candied fennel seeds? i love them after a good indian meal. like teeny little good-n-plenty, but with fennel instead of licorice inside.

and speaking of sweet herbs, what about chervil? i've taught the neighbourhood kids that it's a candy herb.
how's about candied angelica root/stems!mum had a "baking tin" that she kept her dried & candied fruit in.took her a little while to twig why the angelica kept disappearing!

Tags
herbs, other, spices