Herbs & spices in puds?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harry Cobean

Executive Chef
ok so we've had chocolate mint,now what about"unusual" herbs/spices in desserts/candies.we all know about cinnamon/nutmeg etc in puds but what about the less common combo's.as with the chocolate mint herb(same holiday in miami)the first time i tried chilli in chocolate was when bolas & i were off the leash(madge was getting her hair done!)in sawgrass mills mall in sunrise fl.we found ourselves in the lindt store who had an offer on bars of chocolate.bought some of their dark chocolate with chilli & have been hooked since.their sea salt milk chocolate is a winner too.like to sprinkle some chilli flakes(no seeds)in softened ice cream & refreeze too.
has anyone ever candied/crystallised chillies as with ginger? if so how do you do it?
ok,so what's your guilty pleasure?(keep it clean,stick to herbs & spices;):LOL:!)

Last edited:
I had to look up "puds" ;)

I had a dinner party featuring lots of herbs and for dessert, I served a lemon pound cake with basil whipped cream.

Lemon balm and lemon verbena, lime basil. All three are great with almost any fruit, very refreshing. If you like licorice at all there are easily a half-dozen herbs and spices to add to deserts. Why are there so many?

Oh, I read a lot of British novels, so knew about puds; but in fact, where I first heard the term was a couple in the diplomatic corps in Africa, stationed with a lot of English folk. She frustratingly laughed and told me that the English who were stationed with her all insisted on dressing for dinner, and insisted on "three puds". Can you believe that? THREE deserts? I just joked and told her if she ever visits me, you'll be lucking to get one (most of my friends don't have sweet teeth). Speaking of which, I'm in charge of desert for our next pot-luck!

Oh, I read a lot of British novels, so knew about puds; but in fact, where I first heard the term was a couple in the diplomatic corps in Africa, stationed with a lot of English folk. She frustratingly laughed and told me that the English who were stationed with her all insisted on dressing for dinner, and insisted on "three puds". Can you believe that? THREE deserts? I just joked and told her if she ever visits me, you'll be lucking to get one (most of my friends don't have sweet teeth). Speaking of which, I'm in charge of desert for our next pot-luck!
can't believe you're surprised claire...never heard the song"only mad dogs & englishmen go out in the midday sun"? we're all slightly touched over 'ere darlin'.it's what we do.........:wacko:!

harry

Lavender caramels.

Sea Salt caramels.

I had to look up "puds" ;)

Lemon balm and lemon verbena, lime basil. All three are great with almost any fruit, very refreshing. If you like licorice at all there are easily a half-dozen herbs and spices to add to deserts. Why are there so many?
@ hrh pf had lavender creme brulee a few times,stunning,thanks for reminding me pf:yum:
@ garlic..cheeky;)!
@ claire lurrrrrrrve licourice especially the australian soft eating type
harry

Lime basil sorbet is one of my favorite desserts. Balsamic vinegar on ice cream and black pepper on strawberries are also good combinations.
never had black pepper on strawberries steve,have had balsamic on them tho',delicious.will give the pepper a try,the english strawbs are just starting to hit the shelves

Harry: SAWGRASS SHOPPING CENTRE

:chef: Harry,

You two must of had a blast shopping ...

I have had uncountable times:

:yum: Chocolate Rose Petals ... ( stunning ! )

;) On a savoury note: truffle salt for my Fettuccini and / or my Risotto

Have lovely evening.

Margi.

Black pepper and strawberries is so fantastic. Time for some of that! Thanks for the reminder. Steve!

can't believe you're surprised claire...never heard the song"only mad dogs & englishmen go out in the midday sun"? we're all slightly touched over 'ere darlin'.it's what we do.........:wacko:!

harry

I definitely know the quote. You've heard of Anna of "The King and I" and "Anna and the King" fame? That's how she wound up widowed. She and her husband were stationed in India, and all the locals told him to wait until evening to travel. He ignored the advice!

Yes, you can die of sun stroke. And probably of eating three puds after every meal!

Steve--It's not strawberry season, yet, but I have some strawberries in the freezer. Do you think I could substitute those for fresh berries?
Yes, I almost always use frozen strawberries (or any berry) when making ice cream or sorbet. I sometimes think the quality of frozen strawberries is better than fresh, since they are flash frozen and aren't subject to all the handling that fresh berries are. I don't know how many times I've bought a box of "fresh" strawberries, only to find mold in the bottom.

Yes, I almost always use frozen strawberries (or any berry) when making ice cream or sorbet. I sometimes think the quality of frozen strawberries is better than fresh, since they are flash frozen and aren't subject to all the handling that fresh berries are. I don't know how many times I've bought a box of "fresh" strawberries, only to find mold in the bottom.
Good to know--I'll use up the strawberries I have in the freezer. Might have to toss in some blueberries or other berry to round up the amount. Steve--try going to a local "u-pick" and pick your own. I go and pick about 24 quarts the 2nd week of strawberry season--I want the berries ripe, so don't go the first week. It takes me about 2-3 hours to fill my six baskets--I'm a two-handed picker, so I can pick almost as fast as the high school kids who are getting paid to pick. Around here, the strawberry patches are clean and easy picking. I prefer to go early in the morning--it gets too darn hot otherwise. That's the best way to get lots of strawberries for jam, pie, freezing. One hot morning picking, two days preserving them.

I hate that, when there's mouldy strawberries. I find that the difference in quality is really pronounced with raspberries. I never buy fresh raspberries.
Good to know--I'll use up the strawberries I have in the freezer. Might have to toss in some blueberries or other berry to round up the amount. Steve--try going to a local "u-pick" and pick your own. I go and pick about 24 quarts the 2nd week of strawberry season--I want the berries ripe, so don't go the first week. It takes me about 2-3 hours to fill my six baskets--I'm a two-handed picker, so I can pick almost as fast as the high school kids who are getting paid to pick. Around here, the strawberry patches are clean and easy picking. I prefer to go early in the morning--it gets too darn hot otherwise. That's the best way to get lots of strawberries for jam, pie, freezing. One hot morning picking, two days preserving them.
Unfortunately, around here, the "u-pick" place is quite fond of artificial fertilizers and pesticides. :(

I love eating vanilla ice cream with a shot of whiskey and ground black pepper, adding fresh basil to homemade lemonade, Madeira cake with marmite and melted cheese on top and I eat my Marie biscuits with butter and grated cheddar lol! They're all good though!

Back
Top Bottom