Hibiscus, what to do with it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustJoel

Executive Chef
You can find some pretty unusual stuff in the 99 cent store! The one I visited today had, among other interesting items, a wall of Mexican spices packaged cheaply in those crinkly plastic bags. And they were all 99 cents!

Among these spices I found hibiscus. I bought it on a whim, but have no idea what to with it! I googled, and every hit was a beverage or hibiscus infused simple syrup. Are there any other ways I can use hibiscus?

I make hibiscus and rosehip tea. It is fabulous as ice tea and the colour is a lovely, bright red. I like the slight tanginess, so I don't add any sugar.

OMG, those enchiladas look interesting and delicious. Give me a few days to get over my Indian food obsession and I’ll make ‘em! Thank you!

And the liquid you get as left overs, you can make sweet tea or use in a cake.

Love jamaica (hibiscus) tea! I imagine you could use it in jellies and jams for the liquid, and to poach fruit.

Last edited:
I make hibiscus and rosehip tea. It is fabulous as ice tea and the colour is a lovely, bright red. I like the slight tanginess, so I don't add any sugar.

I also buy loose hibiscus and rosehip for tea. I add honey. This combo is high in vitamins and we always have when we are fighting a cold/flu and sore throat. Mom believed it helped bring a fever down.

Back
Top Bottom