Horseradish powder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm sure you're right taxlady. You know the stores in your area and I've never even been to Canada.

I've seen this happen though. Produce manager orders from what he's most familiar with and the sales record for his store. He hasn't had any fresh horseradish in whatever date range his report covers so it can't show anything except zero sales. Naturally, he isn't going to order any. But then, on the suggestion of a boss or a customer, or just idyl curiosity, he does order some. But the cashier or more likely, her direct supervisor calls it rutabaga or ginger and the produce manager's report still shows zero sales, so it never gets reordered.

I'm growing it here ATM, I believe it's time to process it now. I get it in wee jars btw, store bought. But I'm looking forward to making my own.

Russ

I'm glad this thread was started, taxy. I have a jar just like the one Kayelle linked to, but forget that it's there. It was something I picked up to try at the Cleveland Penzeys store the year Loverly gave me a gift card to Penzeys. Not a fan of bloody Mary's or Maria's - I like my V-8 straight up with a squirt of fresh lemon juice, period - but I did see that it's good in deviled eggs and potato salad. I usually reach for the refrigerated jar of horseradish when I need some, but I think this powder can be sneaked into foods easily. I can make Himself say "what IS it that I'm tasting?" and not tell him. :D

I make a horseradish gravy for corned beef dinner. You need to add the horseradish at the end or it looses it's kick if it's heated too long. I'm wondering if the horseradish powder reacts the same.

I'd like to have some.. Its one of those 'once in a while' things for me.. I've kept jars which have gone to waste because I don't use it often enough.. Maybe having the powder will inspire me enjoy the flavor more often..
I'll keep and eye out in the stores..

Ross

I didn't use horseradish much when I could get it fresh. Most places don't want to special order for someone who is only likely to buy it once or twice a year. If I lived in town, I could get it from a small green grocer. You can tell them that you would like a piece and would they please get you some next time they are at the wholesaler. That doesn't really work in chain supermarkets.

Have you looked for it around Jewish holidays? We can get it year round at a couple of stores, but all of them seem to have it around Jewish holidays. The fresh stuff.

Have you looked for it around Jewish holidays? We can get it year round at a couple of stores, but all of them seem to have it around Jewish holidays. The fresh stuff.

That sounds like a good idea. A friend of mine can tasted the difference between Coca Cola made with cane sugar and Coca Cola made with other sweeteners. He told me that he can find the cane sugar variant around Passover.

So, considering all the suggestions for finding fresh horseradish, is there a way to keep that for a long time?

Ginger will keep a very long time in a jar of sherry. I have read that fresh turmeric can be kept for a long time in a jar of vodka. I wonder if horseradish would maintain most of its flavour and texture in a jar of vodka.

So, considering all the suggestions for finding fresh horseradish, is there a way to keep that for a long time?

Ginger will keep a very long time in a jar of sherry. I have read that fresh turmeric can be kept for a long time in a jar of vodka. I wonder if horseradish would maintain most of its flavour and texture in a jar of vodka.

Homemade Worcestershire sauce.

Have you ever handled fresh horseradish? It's even more dense than ginger. I think it would hold its texture and flavor in any kind of alcohol just fine.

Btw, when I was (briefly) in culinary school, we had to make several variations on béchamel sauce, including sauce Albert with freshly grated horseradish. Twenty students in one room grating horseradish made for some pungent air! [emoji16] And it's not easy to grate. You might want to have Stirling do it.

The first time we made Worcestershire, Craig grated the horseradish on the box grater. Tears were streaming down his face by the time he was done since there was a good bit to grate. The next time, we used the grater attachment for the Kitchen Aid.

I bet it would freeze pretty well also.

When I lived in central Ohio the Kroger stores there carried the powder and root stock. I also found powdered worcestershire too.

I frequently make coleslaw in the food processor and add a little of the horseradish powder which enhances it considerably. I like to chop mine fine and allow it to set in the fridge for a day before serving it.

The other ideas for tomato juice based drinks would appeal to me as well.

I presently have about 15 horseradish plants in the ground, out in the woods away from where I life. It is invasive and within a couple of years I'm using a post hole digger to harvest a root that's grown nearly 5 ft deep.

I grind the root after cleaning and pealing it to a fine texture outdoors on the deck. This is allowed to sit 3 minutes to reach it's ultimate "heat". Then Kosher Salt and white Vinegar is added, then packed in jars, and from there to the fridge. From there to my friends.

This stuff will have you blowing fire out of your nostrils if you aren't careful. If you want to "cool" it down, simply add white sugar in small amounts and stir it and then try it. Repeat if necessary, but do this in small increments.

A Beef Roast with Yorkshire Pudding and some Horseradish as a condiment is a great start to a fine meal. I also like to shave the root on a microplane grater to accompany a shrimp cocktail. I dip the shrimp in some cocktail sauce and then into the shavings. I was in Baltimore, Md when I first tried it served in this way.

Back
Top Bottom