"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices

Old 05-16-2010, 10:02 AM   #1
Senior Cook

How to use up a bunch o' flat leaf parsley

any ideas on how to use up a few bunches of flat leaf parsley b4 it goes bad?

Old 05-16-2010, 10:51 AM   #2
Head Chef

I just air dry mine in a sunny window. Do the same with cilantro, too.
You could make up a big batch of tabouli, that uses a lot of parsley! :)

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 11:10 AM   #3
Head Chef

You could make a pesto, and slather it all over chicken, or steak, or pork, or or or... Let your imagination run wild it is a wonderful herb... I like it as an herb salad also...
Old 05-16-2010, 11:33 AM   #4
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillingFool View Post
I just air dry mine in a sunny window. Do the same with cilantro, too.
You could make up a big batch of tabouli, that uses a lot of parsley! :)
wonderful idea! never heard of tabouli, so i just googled a tabouli recipe and came up with a great sounding one! thank you, my dc friend, for sharing your idea
Old 05-16-2010, 11:42 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimizkitchen View Post
You could make a pesto, and slather it all over chicken, or steak, or pork, or or or... Let your imagination run wild it is a wonderful herb... I like it as an herb salad also...
this is definately worth trying! i have always thought of pesto as basil-based. so upon reading your suggestion, i googled a parsley pesto recipe and c that i seem to be probably the only one who does not have this in her recipe box already. lol. it makes sense too...any herb-type thing could be made into that. actually i have recently stumbled upon the italian butter idea where you chop up a bunch of herbs and put in a little evoo to moisten it thus to make a concentrated paste to use a little of with more oil in later dishes. so this can even go along with that idea. thanks for spreading the word and getting my creative hamster spinning it's wheel up there, my dc friend!
Old 05-16-2010, 12:24 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Salsa Verde (ITALIAN green sauce--- not to be confused with the Mexican condiment of the same name...) is indeed a great idea. It IS sort of like a pesto with parsley, you mix it up with good olive oil, garlic and a handful of pine nuts (if that's not available, you can use walnuts or cashew as well), salt to your taste, you can use a pestle or food processor to mix it. There are limitless opportunities for its use.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:33 PM   #7
Head Chef

Jessica chimichurri would also be nice and a different spin on a sauce for meats... It has red wine vinegar, and red pepper flakes in it, but is a wonderful condiment... Try it you'll like it...
Old 05-16-2010, 01:11 PM   #8
Master Chef

I've never been a fan of dried parsley (or dried tarragon or cilantro). Doesn't hold it's flavor for very long at all & ends up tasting/smelling like dry lawn grass in very short order when compared to other dried herbs like thyme, rosemary, oregano, etc.

If I were you, I'd most likely soften a few sticks of butter & blend in as much chopped parsley as you'd like, then portion out & roll the butter up snugly in plastic wrap & freeze. You can add other seasonings to each roll before freezing if you like or leave them just with the parsley & add extra seasonings later on when you know what you'll be using the butter for. Just re-soften the roll, add your extra seasonings, & re-chill a bit if necessary before using.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:35 PM   #9
Master Chef

Dang, what great ideas!! Putting parsley on my shopping list till the stuff in the garden does it's thing!!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 03:57 PM   #10
Cupcake

Greek Green Beans and Potatoes

I made this as a side dish at Easter for roasted lamb. It was just delicious and could honestly be a meal on its own. It was super easy to make and used a lot of parsley.

Zoe’s Green Beans (Fasolakia tis Zoes) - Greek Recipes

~Kathleen

Tags
None