ISO Black Mustard Seed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dave Hutchins

Head Chef
:chef::) Question. Is there such a thing as Black Mustard seed?
Every spice company I have reached does not carry it they all have yellow and brown. If so where can it be purchased??

I found black mustard seeds in an Indian shop (in South Australia). I had someone working for me in United Arab Emirates and they used them in Dhal. On further inspection of the ones I bought as 'black', they are yellow and brown. I don't think they were in UAE and I think those ones were hotter ( think).

This is from Wikipedia.
Mustard seeds are the proverbially small seeds of the various mustard plants. The seeds are about 1 mm in diameter, and may be colored from yellowish white to black. They are important spices in many regional cuisines. The seeds can come from three different plants: black mustard (B. Nigra), brown Indian mustard (B. Juncea) and white or yellow mustard .
In the Indian Subcontinent they are often used whole, and are quickly fried in oil until they pop to impart a flavor to the oil.

We generally use black mustard (Brassica nigra) seeds in eastern India, whereas rest of Indian generally use brown or yellow variety.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom