"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices

Old 10-24-2008, 11:45 AM   #31
Senior Cook

it is true that beef is not eaten in most states, in fact only in Kerela is it freely available, but in the other states, for those who wish to eat meat (state depedent, but from 15% - 60% eat meat, though not necessarily every day) there is water buffalo. The commonest meat (other than fish) is goat, euphamistically called 'mutton'.

[its just 1 billion Indians]

one thing they do is eat Indian food, most of which is nutritious and healthy, not to mention the benefits some spices are said to offer.
Maybe Bliss should ask what the person he/she is talking to has/had for lunch, then he/she maybe more enlightened. I'll even supply a recipe for Bliss to try, but not one using curry powder

Namaste Blissful

Old 10-24-2008, 12:29 PM   #32
Master Chef

Well, they also eat pork and chicken but I still say who cares, i still do not like curry.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:10 PM   #33
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by waaza View Post
Maybe Bliss should ask what the person he/she is talking to has/had for lunch, then he/she maybe more enlightened. I'll even supply a recipe for Bliss to try, but not one using curry powder
Namaste Blissful
This kind of made me chuckle! I like being mysterious-

Quote:
And to Blissful, even with 50 years of cooking experience, I am still learning about how to use spices.
Wow, you ARE old. Namaste Waaza

Quote:
Well, they also eat pork and chicken but I still say who cares, i still do not like curry.
So Charlie, are you saying:
I would not eat it in a box
I would not eat it with a fox
I would not eat it here or there
I would not eat it anywhere?
Old 10-24-2008, 03:40 PM   #34
Head Chef

Some strong sentiments for and against curry

I am Indian but I am not offended by Charlie, it's all about tastebuds. My husband does not like pasta and italian food in general. I tell him there is a lot more to italian food than just pasta but he does not care to explore.

I am more adventurous but then again I myself prefer Asian food - Thai, Chinese, Japanese and Indian over American food. I would prefer my simple dal and rice with pickle and fire roasted papad over the best gourmet meal in the world.

I think Indian food has a long way to go in US. There is good Indian food in New York, New Jersey, California and Chicago but it's not like U.K. I just got back from Denver and I found the Indian food terrible there and we went to an extremely popular restaurant that had a 5 star user rating.

Remember all Indian food is not curry and not all pungent but that's the general impression of people in US.

If you want to get a good book on authentic Indian cooking I recommend a book by Sanjeev Kapoor.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:14 AM   #35
Master Chef

I agree that "curry" is an acquired taste for many who didn't grow up with it. When I was 19 and a newlywed, I decided to try to make it. It was nauseating, and the trailer smelled of it for months. It was years before I tried it again; I was in my late twenties and had the Hawaiian version, the Thai, and the Indonesian versions and I loved them all. Then we went to Hong Kong. We had never really had Indian food, and we went to this little place in the basement of one of the multitude of skyscrapers, and simply put our fates in the hands of the maitre d'. We loved every dish presented to us and haven't looked back. I now have a curry plant brought in for the winter, and I brush it with my fingers every time I pass by for the lovely scent. To each his own.

Tags
None