"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-10-2008, 11:07 AM   #1
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,120
ISO Curry and Paprika Info

I have already searched on here but cannot find more information on these two.
My curry, is something I bought out east, a couple cups of it. I've never eaten a curry at a restaurant. I don't know that anything I made curried was really made right. What does a 'good curry', taste like?
I have a large container labeled Paprika. It does not say hot, mild, smoked or Hungarian. It does not have a hot taste, nor a smoked taste. What can I use it in or how do I cook with it? I've only used it to sprinkle on deviled eggs. Any pointers? TIA ~Bliss
__________________

__________________
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:48 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,395
It tastes like the curry smells. I'm not sure how else to explain it.

Paprika is ground chile pepper. You can use it to flavor many dishes. It's the primary flavor component of real Hungarian goulash and chicken paprikash.

Paprika, like parsley, gets no respect as a flavoring. It is most commonly regarded as only a garnish.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 04:30 PM   #3
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,120
Thanks Andy.
__________________
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 07:19 AM   #4
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 3,270
I love using paprika! Anything that has cheese to be melted on it, I sprinkle paprika. Always add it to my soups, esp on top of potato and leek soup! Yummy!! Great on potatoes. Adds a lovely bit of colour to a baked dish. Try sprinkling it on some chicken before you roast it. I sometimes use it instead of pepper as it adds the kick without that strong ground pepper flavour. Also try sprinkling it on sliced eggplant before roasting.

When you want to serve something with a dip, try cutting up pita bread that you have sprinkled with paprika and then baked in the oven til they are crisp.

Oh and of course, omelettes, scrambled eggs and quiches!
__________________
Too many restaurants, not enough time...
Bilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 07:47 AM   #5
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,120
Thank you Bilby, I'll try it more.
I'm an absolute failure at curry, maybe paprika will be easier to deal with.

Last night I put a couple tablespoons of olive oil in a pan and 2 heaping tablespoons of curry, and burned it! Threw it out, washed the pan.
I started over, and put a couple tablespoons of olive oil in a pan and 3 tablespoons of curry, a teaspoon of tumeric (my curry is so brown and not so yellow), then onions, some garlic, some white wine, a little cornstarch, watched it carefully stirring and then added shrimp and some salt, heated it and served it over rice.
It had some heat to it, it was grainy like it had sand in it (it wasn't the shrimp), and it was brown like mud and NO it wasn't burned. I am at a loss for why anyone would like this, or maybe it's an acquired taste I haven't acquired yet. It was a distinctive flavor but the texture throws me off and I wouldn't serve this MUD to a guest.
Does anyone have a tutorial or picture show that can help me with this?
__________________
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 08:00 AM   #6
Executive Chef
 
GrantsKat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Flagler County, Florida
Posts: 4,127
Send a message via AIM to GrantsKat
Hey bliss, I dont know if this will help you as I dont ever measure how much spice I cook with!! Im thinking that 3 tablespoons of curry may be too much......this is what I did the last time I made curry chicken-- I add a little olive oil to the pan, add diced chicken & veggies(I used onion,zucchini & a can of diced tomatoes) I dont use any thickening agents or wine or stock. I add my curry(I have the McCormick brand) and saute for a few minutes, then lower the heat cover and let simmer till chicken is cooked through. My hubby LOVED it! It wasnt muddy or grainy at all. It wasnt spicy either, but it did have wonderful flavor!
Maybe someone can help with a more "scientific" procedure
HTH a little
__________________
Kathe

Babymaker
GrantsKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 08:09 AM   #7
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantsKat View Post
Hey bliss, I dont know if this will help you as I dont ever measure how much spice I cook with!! Im thinking that 3 tablespoons of curry may be too much......this is what I did the last time I made curry chicken-- I add a little olive oil to the pan, add diced chicken & veggies(I used onion,zucchini & a can of diced tomatoes) I dont use any thickening agents or wine or stock. I add my curry(I have the McCormick brand) and saute for a few minutes, then lower the heat cover and let simmer till chicken is cooked through. My hubby LOVED it! It wasnt muddy or grainy at all. It wasnt spicy either, but it did have wonderful flavor!
Maybe someone can help with a more "scientific" procedure
HTH a little
Thanks GrantsKat, I have been reading recipes that cook the curry to bring out the flavor, prior to adding meats or veggies....which is why I made it in the order I made it in. I'll try it your way the next time.

Oh, and I'm sorry you had so much damage from the tornado, I hope your insurance company steps up to the plate. And I'm thankful no one in your family was hurt.
__________________
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 08:13 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
Thank you Bilby, I'll try it more.
I'm an absolute failure at curry, maybe paprika will be easier to deal with.

Last night I put a couple tablespoons of olive oil in a pan and 2 heaping tablespoons of curry, and burned it! Threw it out, washed the pan.
I started over, and put a couple tablespoons of olive oil in a pan and 3 tablespoons of curry, a teaspoon of tumeric (my curry is so brown and not so yellow), then onions, some garlic, some white wine, a little cornstarch, watched it carefully stirring and then added shrimp and some salt, heated it and served it over rice.
It had some heat to it, it was grainy like it had sand in it (it wasn't the shrimp), and it was brown like mud and NO it wasn't burned. I am at a loss for why anyone would like this, or maybe it's an acquired taste I haven't acquired yet. It was a distinctive flavor but the texture throws me off and I wouldn't serve this MUD to a guest.
Does anyone have a tutorial or picture show that can help me with this?
I'm not sure paprika is a traditional curry ingredient, but Cook's Illustrated magazine has an article about using paprika in Hungarian beef stew and said that their stew got really gritty when they added paprika. The way they got around it was by making a paprika cream: In a food processor, process 1/3 cup paprika, 1 12-oz. jar roasted red peppers, 2 tbsp. tomato paste and 2 tsp. vinegar together and use this as the paprika ingredient.

This was for making beef stew with 3.5 lbs. of beef, so you could probably experiment and use less for a curry recipe with 1 lb. or so of shrimp or whatever protein you want to use.

For step by step curry recipes, try this page: Chef Jeenas food recipes: Curry Recipes

Lots to choose from HTH.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 08:16 AM   #9
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I'm not sure paprika is a traditional curry ingredient, but Cook's Illustrated magazine has an article about using paprika in Hungarian beef stew and said that their stew got really gritty when they added paprika. The way they got around it was by making a paprika cream: In a food processor, process 1/3 cup paprika, 1 12-oz. jar roasted red peppers, 2 tbsp. tomato paste and 2 tsp. vinegar together and use this as the paprika ingredient.

This was for making beef stew with 3.5 lbs. of beef, so you could probably experiment and use less for a curry recipe with 1 lb. or so of shrimp or whatever protein you want to use.

For step by step curry recipes, try this page: Chef Jeenas food recipes: Curry Recipes

Lots to choose from HTH.
I'm not mixing my paprika problems with my curry problems. I'm just having difficulty figuring out how to use each set successfully. :) Thanks for the link!
__________________
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 08:25 AM   #10
Executive Chef
 
GrantsKat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Flagler County, Florida
Posts: 4,127
Send a message via AIM to GrantsKat
Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
Thanks GrantsKat, I have been reading recipes that cook the curry to bring out the flavor, prior to adding meats or veggies....which is why I made it in the order I made it in. I'll try it your way the next time.

Oh, and I'm sorry you had so much damage from the tornado, I hope your insurance company steps up to the plate. And I'm thankful no one in your family was hurt.
Thanks blissful!! I have already begun the insurance company "headache" LOL
I know how I make curry chicken is now where near traditional, but we like it & it works
I have also heard of cooking the spices first to bring out the flavor, but never have done it. I prefer to not have to fuss too much when cooking, since my time is limited
As I said maybe one of the more experienced cooks here will come along and give you better answers
__________________

__________________
Kathe

Babymaker
GrantsKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.