ISO Flavored Olive Oil Use

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrincessFiona60

Ogress Supreme
Moderator Emeritus
I was gifted with 375 mL of Extra Virgin Olive Oil, flavored with Blood Oranges. I am looking for some suggestions, besides salad dressing.

How would you use this?

I had a similar problem a couple of years ago; my local gourmet store has an "olive oil bar" and I succumbed to temptation and then went what the heck?

I think it would be good to lightly sautee some veggies in it and serve over pasta or rice, hot or cold.

Marinade some chicken strips or shrimp in it, then either grill or bread and sautee, broil, or bake.

Toss some with some already steamed/boiled shrimp for an appetizer.

I had a similar problem a couple of years ago; my local gourmet store has an "olive oil bar" and I succumbed to temptation and then went what the heck?

I think it would be good to lightly sautee some veggies in it and serve over pasta or rice, hot or cold.

Marinade some chicken strips or shrimp in it, then either grill or bread and sautee, broil, or bake.

Toss some with some already steamed/boiled shrimp for an appetizer.

Oh yes, I wander into a place called "Oil & Vinegar" on occasion...I come out with all kinds of odd things. Had a grapefruit oil once, it was really good. And the vinegars...oh my!

Some green beans with blood orange instead of lemon would be good!

Thanks, Claire!:)

i'm in agreement w/ the green beenz. have you thought of asparagus?
couscous?

i, too, am one whom buys this stuff, these random food items, & them i'm like, 'okayyyy, now how'm i gonna use this?' allows for plenty of kitchen creativity!

I said the same thing to Chef Munky in PM...we were discussing the beauty aspects of olive oil...shiny!:LOL:

Don't use olive oil as suntan lotion. When I was on vacation in Spain in the early 70s, they sold olive oil as suntan lotion. I don't burn easily, but I was getting sunburnt. I didn't use it one day and didn't burn. I used it again after a few days of not burning and sure 'nuff, I burnt again.

Don't use olive oil as suntan lotion. When I was on vacation in Spain in the early 70s, they sold olive oil as suntan lotion. I don't burn easily, but I was getting sunburnt. I didn't use it one day and didn't burn. I used it again after a few days of not burning and sure 'nuff, I burnt again.

I learned that one in the 70's too, only it was baby oil...we were talking about it as a moisturizer mayo for hair.:angel:

Besides, I never go out in daylight anyway...I slink around in the shadows. If there is a chance sunlight might be a problem, I have my handy-dandy SPF 6000.:ROFLMAO:

I learned that one in the 70's too, only it was baby oil...we were talking about it as a moisturizer mayo for hair.:angel:

Besides, I never go out in daylight anyway...I slink around in the shadows. If there is a chance sunlight might be a problem, I have my handy-dandy SPF 6000.:ROFLMAO:

Olive oil is worse. I used to use mineral oil and never had a problem with that.

I tasted the Blood Orange olive oil when I was at The Old Oil Shop in Chicago...but passed it up and went with the Persian lime olive oil instead. On Saturday, I used it as part of a marinade for tiger shrimp (BBQ'd). I added roasted garlic, chipolte chili powder (1/8th tsp), red pepper flakes, fresh chopped chives from the garden, and fresh majoram, and about 2 T of pear wine. The shrimp was YUMMY. I made a dipping sauce for the shrimp using the same and topped the shrimp with a sauce of tomatoes, garlic, majoram, and a drop of habernaro pepper sauce.

I've used the lime olive oil for salad dressing. My discussion with the shop owner was that the citrus-flavored olive oils work well with chicken, seafood, salad, and veggies. The bottle is small, so I'm saving it for special things now--chicken, seafood, and maybe asparagus...

I use EVOO as a moisturizer on my skin (this is my nighttime moisturizer). It works well.

I tasted the Blood Orange olive oil when I was at The Old Oil Shop in Chicago...but passed it up and went with the Persian lime olive oil instead. On Saturday, I used it as part of a marinade for tiger shrimp (BBQ'd). I added roasted garlic, chipolte chili powder (1/8th tsp), red pepper flakes, fresh chopped chives from the garden, and fresh majoram, and about 2 T of pear wine. The shrimp was YUMMY. I made a dipping sauce for the shrimp using the same and topped the shrimp with a sauce of tomatoes, garlic, majoram, and a drop of habernaro pepper sauce.

I've used the lime olive oil for salad dressing. My discussion with the shop owner was that the citrus-flavored olive oils work well with chicken, seafood, salad, and veggies. The bottle is small, so I'm saving it for special things now--chicken, seafood, and maybe asparagus...

I use EVOO as a moisturizer on my skin (this is my nighttime moisturizer). It works well.

That shrimp marinade sounds great! Thanks! The soba noodle salad was great, I added some greens to it.

I thought of it as a moisturizer because it was gifted to me from the company I purchased my shampoo, facial cleansers, etc from. Yes, blood orange. They were the room amenities at the Lodge we stayed at in Whitefish and I loved how they made my hair smell like oranges. So I looked them up and placed an order.

I thought I would prefer the blood orange olive oil but when I tasted the lime, I was sold--it has a more subtle topnote. I'm keeping mine in the fridge now that I opened it--are you? The shrimp was really nice--I did the marinade and sauce by taste except for the chilpolte chili powder. And, I did add some grated lime zest (I prefer lime with seafood instead of lemon) to the tomato sauce (which, the tomatoes were san marizano <sp> that I had seeded and skinned and tossed in the freezer last summer...they tasted as if they'd come out of the garden that morning!) and to the dipping sauce I added a bit of lime zest as well.

When we bbq'd the shrimp, we basted it with the remaining marinade. I find that seafood tends to stick. The shrimp were obviously skwered and we flipped them. It took about 6-7 minutes for the shrimp--I think the DH had the heat at medium.

Last edited:
No fridge here...the bottle is too tall and there's no room. It's about a half size fridge for an apartment.

Recipe sounds great, I'll be looking into that. Now I have to go looking for Lime Olive Oil...

The marinade recipe I used for the shrimp was inspired by this one from the LCBO Food and Drink Magazine:

Recipe Details

Wish I could claim I was creative enough to come up with it all on my own, but I wasn't. I was pdfing recipes from past issues so I could get rid of the hard copies and this one caught my eye in that issue.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom