"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-07-2009, 11:52 AM   #1
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North, Surrey, BC
Posts: 18,951
ISO ideas for dried Juniper Berries

A friend gave me a jar of dried juniper berries as she has never found a use for them and figured I would know. Well, I don't but am interested in trying them out.

Any ideas?

__________________

__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/fat/caffiene-free and loving it!


http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 01:49 PM   #2
Executive Chef
 
bethzaring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Northern New Mexico
Posts: 4,603
I have juniper bushes that produce edible fruit, and the only time I pluck the berries are for a venison roast dish, or maybe a sausage recipe..
__________________

__________________
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 02:16 PM   #3
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North, Surrey, BC
Posts: 18,951
Thanks, Beth.

Yeah, everything I researched seemed to come up with game meat and winter vegetables. They may stay in my pantry for a long time!
__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/fat/caffiene-free and loving it!


http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 03:08 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Uncle Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Small Town Mississippi
Posts: 17,394
I was gonna suggest to go kill a bull moose...by the time you eat him up, the juniper berries will be gone!
__________________
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 03:16 PM   #5
Certifiable Executive Chef
 
Janet H's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 3,283
I make a pork dish that has a rub made from ground juniper berries, caraway and black pepper corns. It's my husbands favorite dish...

  • 1 Pork tenderloin sliced into 1.5 inch medallions and then pounded paper thin
  • Rub each piece with juniper berries, caraway and black pepper (break up with mortar and pestle)
  • Lightly flour meat
  • Sear meat pieces in butter and set aside on warm platter.
  • Deglace pan with Calvados (apple brandy)
  • Then add a jar of strained baby food applesauce (about 6 ounces). You can use regular applesauce but the super smooth texture of the baby stuff makes this dish satiny smooth. Remove from heat
  • Add about 1/4 C of heavy cream to sauce and salt and pepper to taste. Pour any juice that has sweated out of cooked cutlets back into sauce and the pour the sauce over the meat on platter - serve.
This is great with some oven roasted red potatoes, green beans and a simple salad.
__________________
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 03:24 PM   #6
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North, Surrey, BC
Posts: 18,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
I make a pork dish that has a rub made from ground juniper berries, caraway and black pepper corns. It's my husbands favorite dish...

  • 1 Pork tenderloin sliced into 1.5 inch medallions and then pounded paper thin
  • Rub each piece with juniper berries, caraway and black pepper (break up with mortar and pestle)
  • Lightly flour meat
  • Sear meat pieces in butter and set aside on warm platter.
  • Deglace pan with Calvados (apple brandy)
  • Then add a jar of strained baby food applesauce (about 6 ounces). You can use regular applesauce but the super smooth texture of the baby stuff makes this dish satiny smooth. Remove from heat
  • Add about 1/4 C of heavy cream to sauce and salt and pepper to taste. Pour any juice that has sweated out of cooked cutlets back into sauce and the pour the sauce over the meat on platter - serve.
This is great with some oven roasted red potatoes, green beans and a simple salad.
Thanks, Janet! I actually have a pork tenderloin and can hit my niece, who's here for her sister's wedding, up for a jar of applesauce! I also have calvados on hand as well! This sounds great!
__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/fat/caffiene-free and loving it!


http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 03:27 PM   #7
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North, Surrey, BC
Posts: 18,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
I was gonna suggest to go kill a bull moose...by the time you eat him up, the juniper berries will be gone!
This is a good one too, Uncle B! Only a couple of catches to it.

1. I don't "kill" anything
2. I don't eat wild meat of any kind
3. I am not positive, but it might be illegal to kill moose here
4. My freezer is full of cake and peppermint patty centres.

Otherwise I would do it in a heartbeat!
__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/fat/caffiene-free and loving it!


http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:02 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kitchenelf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 19,725
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Juniper berries are also good in sauerkraut.
__________________
kitchenelf

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:06 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Uncle Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Small Town Mississippi
Posts: 17,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
Juniper berries are also good in sauerkraut.
.......And Gin
__________________
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:19 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kitchenelf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 19,725
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
.......And Gin
__________________

__________________
kitchenelf

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.