"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices

Old 03-30-2008, 03:25 AM   #11
Senior Cook

nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryankimjade View Post
After watching the cooking channel. I decided to get fresh nutmeg from the jar and just grate it when needed. The smell and taste are wonderful just as promised. But I am not sure how much to use. I have a pumpkin roll recipe that I have been perfecting for years (even though I am not a baker) and it calls for 1 teaspoon of ground nutmeg. Do I use the same amount when freshly grateing? any input would be appreciated. thanks
Hi Bryan,

Nutmeg is one of the most great and mellifluous spices used by man/woman that you will ever use. It`s used with both savoury and sweet concoctions!

It combines with savoury ingredients to develop and enable flavours to enrich a dish - for example with spinach in Spinach Catalan or in a risotto, leeks with pasta need the lightest of grating of nutmeg, game birds in a casserole, venison in a pie or chicken livers in a patÚ need a lightly heavier hand. In most these (savoury) instances nutmeg likes to be bedfellow to ginger, Jamiaca pepper, cinnamon and the lightest touch of cumin.

At the same time, nutmeg, has throughout history played a part in the production of cremes, custards and mixes of fruit, in short it is an ingredient employed in puddings, cakes and preserves like chutney. Traditonally the fruit is dried and reconstituted with alcohol and nutmeg and other spices like ground cloves, cinnamon and ginger.

Then again, nutmeg is an essential ingredient of a good cheese sauce - not so much that one could taste it and less than one knows it`s there!

Hope this helps,
Archiduc

Old 03-30-2008, 03:18 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

I know my user name is deceiving. Actually I am Kim. I agree with you on your love of nutmeg. Around Christmas I started using the fresh and grating it. I don't know why I waited so long. I have used it when making spinach and any greens as you suggested. No comparisan. It is like back in the old days when we used ground pepper. Cooking is so much better now. Thank you to the food channel for teaching us the correct way.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:11 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Hi Kim,

It`s good to see that you are learning about and experimenting with nutmeg. I think it is one of my top 3 spices. You need a grater so that you can use it fresh. I have a special nutmeg grater which is only ever used for grating whole nutmegs. Perhaps, you could "google" to find a kitchen shop, food market or stockist near you for both the grater and the nutmegs.

I buy vacuum packed, whole nutmegs from my local Asian superstore. If you can find one near you it would be worth checking out. Once you`ve opened the packet, keep the whole nutmegs in a dry, screw-topped jar. They keep for a very long time and only begin to degenerate in terms of flavour once you start to grate each individual nutmeg.

Nutmeg is a spice which goes through the whole repetoire of cooking:
* patÚs - integral to chicken liver patÚ;
* soups - add a very light touch to onion, cauliflower, leek or bean based soups;
* cheese sauce - integral and necessary
* stews and casserole - benefit from a touch;
* custards - better with a very light scraping;
* ice cream - nutmeg ice cream is divine;
* pastries - essential to a good Baklava;
* coffee - try a light grating on top of a Cappucino.

Hope this helps,
Archiduc
Old 04-03-2008, 01:36 PM   #14
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I didn't see this listed, but my Swedish half insists that I add that nutmeg is also essential to Swedish Meatballs!

Barbara

Tags
None