"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices

Old 01-26-2008, 02:54 PM   #1
Head Chef

ISO Saffron recipes

Im using saffron for the first time, anyone have any suggestions on how to get my first impression.

Challeng: must be vegetarian

Old 01-26-2008, 03:10 PM   #2
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Use it in the cooking liquid, like for rice or something. A little goes a long way.

Saffron basil rice is alway a nice bed for something. Also lends itself well to lentils, seafood, broths, soups, and even sorbet.

Old 01-26-2008, 04:26 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Hey Larry, I've got a recipe for Spicy Moroccan Chickpea and Lentil Soup if your interested. Saffron threads are in the ingredients!
Old 01-26-2008, 05:30 PM   #4
Head Chef

Definitely interested..
Old 01-26-2008, 06:20 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Vegetarian paella with grilled vegetables is yummy!
Old 01-30-2008, 01:11 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Something Indian: a vegetable biryani. The fragrance of the basmati rice and the saffron is wonderful.

Although, a biryani is best made with meat, you could sub them for veggies. To get an idea of the recipe, you could have a look here.

Old 01-30-2008, 01:30 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Saffron cream. Saute a little shallot and add heavy cream with white wine and saffron. Perfect for steaming and serving with mussels.

Saffron Buerre Blanc. Maybe add a little garlic and/or lemon and/or orange. Good with shellfish/seafood: scallops, lump crabcakes, seafood pasta. I bet veal would be nice with saffron cream, too. I had smoked veal chops with lavender cream before (to die for) but I'm not sure the smoked meat flavor would entirely work with saffron.

How about saffron & grapefruit buerre blanc over grouper or chilean sea bass? With some spinach. mmm

I've had saffron ice cream before (Le Pommier Pittsburgh). If I remember correctly it was with a blackberry mango crisp. It was good on it's own though, I'd serve the ice cream with some lemon wafer cookies or tuilles (sp?).
Old 01-30-2008, 06:02 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Quote:
I'm not sure the smoked meat flavor would entirely work with saffron.
Maybe if you served veal medallions (smoked or not) with lobster tail meat and saffron buerre blanc? Like an upscale surf-n-turf. We had something like that at a resturant where I once worked. It was supposed to be the chef's high-end take on Veal Oscar.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:02 AM   #9
Sous Chef

Okay, Okay, I'm posting AGAIN. But this time to apologize. I missed the "vegetarian" requirement and feel silly for posting all of those meaty suggestions. SO Sorry! I will leave those posts, though, for people who might not have a veggie restriction.

The saffron creams and ice cream are certainly relevant for vegetarian dishes, as well, as long as you don't need vegan I think. I'm not the best with meat-less ideas, but I would still do the Saffron Cream Pasta (mm pappardelle), maybe a squash ravioli, try putting saffron in the pasta dough if you make it from scratch, a light saffron cream potato soup, maybe add some saffron to your risotto or a cauliflower mash, and I hear saffron is nice with tomatoes though I've never tried it.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:10 AM   #10
Senior Cook

Hi! I suggest you the Yellow Rice, or Saffron Risotto:

The recipe is easy:
  • 1 onion, better white
  • 70 gr rice each person
  • olive oil
  • salt
  • 1,5 lt 'broth'
  • 3 coffe spoons saffron.
Stir the onion, slitghly chopped, with the olive oil. When it'll be white and transparent, drop the rice and melt for a few seconds. Then, start adding the broth. Remember to take medium fire, and to melt slowly. When the rice will be nearly cooked, add the saffron. You can take off the fire and let it rest for a few. Serve with some parmisan cheese, separeted.

Suggestions: If you like to decorate, you can rub a round oven pot, distribute the rise inside, upside down and serve like a 'timballo'.

Let me know if you like it! :-)
Simona

Tags
None