"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices

Old 08-06-2008, 03:16 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Mach...In addtion to the excellent information already provided..season the meat, wrap, and refrigerate up to 24 hours, buy better quality spices etc, You may try adding/sprinkling addtional fresh herbs/spices just as you complete the cooking process...Sometimes this burst of fresh flavor is just what your taste buds are looking for...

Fun!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 03:59 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach View Post
I'd rather go nuts with the ice cream and brownies than chicken skin.
Your priorities are indeed in order

Old 08-06-2008, 05:48 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingshirt View Post
Your priorities are indeed in order
I say, why choose? If the skin is cooked nice and crispy, the way I like it, the fat has mostly been rendered away and there's no more left than in an average hamburger. But the skin is golden brown and delicious, as AB would say Suzie, where are ya? It's hard pushin' chicken skin withoutcha!

Good luck with your next try. I bet it will be better
Old 08-09-2008, 02:39 PM   #14
Cook

I'm surprised no one else has mentioned this--BRINE--your chickens. It's one sure fire way to make your chicken more tasty especially if you are putting it on the grill. It could also be your chicken, most chicken sold in the USA is very young and mostly tasteless. Find a good butcher in your area and try to purchase older chickens, they'll be bigger but have much more flavor. Also try to find free range chickens again they are more flavorful.
Old 08-09-2008, 03:20 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

I'm not sure what brining is. I'll look it up.

As far as chicken supply, I get mine from Costco. The big Purdue bag with individual wrapped breasts. It is cheap and always a good size. The chicken itself is always tasteful, my problem was just what I was putting on was no good.

Lots of thanks to everyone who responded.
Old 08-09-2008, 09:38 PM   #16
Cook

G'day Mach,

All the above suggestion are good and will help.

I think there are a couple of things you are not doing. You are looking for a restaurant flavour? Just about every restaurant serves meat with some sort of sauce. But I don't think you are doing that.

Crusting your chicken etc with herbs and spices will look good, but not add much flavour. You really need to get dried herbs sizzling hot to get the flavours out. What happens is the cells burst and the oils that give the flavour come out. Crusting the herbs onto the meat reduces the heat and so the cells don't burst and so less flavour. The meat absorbs the heat rather than the herbs.

So there are three things you can try. 1. Use fresh herbs. Fresh herbs have a high water content and so you only need to heat the water to cause the cells to burst. Which is much less heat than what is needed to burst dry herbs. 2. If you want to use dried herbs, then fry them first to burst the cells. Or 3. Make a sauce with the herbs instead of trying to flavour the meat directly.

I hope that is of help
KissTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 12:08 AM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillncook View Post
I'm surprised no one else has mentioned this--BRINE--your chickens. It's one sure fire way to make your chicken more tasty especially if you are putting it on the grill. It could also be your chicken, most chicken sold in the USA is very young and mostly tasteless. Find a good butcher in your area and try to purchase older chickens, they'll be bigger but have much more flavor. Also try to find free range chickens again they are more flavorful.
And if you can find air-chilled chicken (Whole Foods has it), it is so much tastier, takes less time to cook, and has made me excited about eating chicken again. Brining is a good thing, too, although I don't feel like I need to brine the air-chilled chickens.

Tags
None