ISO the best way to store parsley

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jpinmaryland

Sous Chef
I put it in water in the kitchen it still goes bad. I put it in the fridge, it still goes bad in maybe 5 days..What if I put in a closed sandwich bag with a little moisture and leave in the fridge? Can you actually freeze it or does it just taste crappy after that?

Rinse it off, pat it dry, wrap it in paper towel and put it into a plastic bag. Store in the fridge. It should last longer but a lot depends on how old it was and how well it was handled before you bought it.

I don't think I would expect it to stay fresh for longer than 5 days no matter what I did to it. I usually do the damp paper towel / plastic bag thing but I never paid attention to how long it lasts.

I either dry it or
chop it up and then freeze. It works... lasts almost forever.

I trim the bottoms of the stems and put it in a glass of water in the fridge. It lasts a week or so. I think that's the best you can expect. If you don't use it up by that time, throw it in a salad.

I lay out about 4 paper towels and roll it up so that the herb is layered
between the paper towels. If it is dry, I sprinkle a little water on it.
Then I put it back into the bag it came from the grocery store in, but
I poke holes in the bag all over first. Store in the crisper area.
I have basil, cilantro and parsley last at least a week. Gets a bit wilted
sometimes, but rarely goes "bad" before a week.

Then I dehydrate it and use it dried. :)

It freezes well for cooking use. Not as a garnish or anything.

I had two huge plants going in October and I cut it all and froze it. Will have enough for the whole winter.

" I trim the bottoms of the stems and put it in a glass of water in the fridge "

GotGarlic, that's what I do. I trim the ends so they are all the same height. Make sure there are no leaves in the water, or they go skanky very quickly. If I remember to change the water every few days, I've managed to keep it for almost 2 weeks. If it seems like it's getting dry, cover it loosely with a plastic bag.

I'm the same as Loprraine but I don't trim the stems. Lasts me longer than five days. Freeze and use direct in cooking or dry in an off (but recently on very low) oven for a few minutes.

I used andy's method and the last vestiges of the parsley are going to make it two weeks. A new record! I feel somehow inadequate that I cant use up all my parsley in a week but so it goes...Excellent tips. Thank you everybody for your contributions.

Thanks for the tips...I usually just buy it (don't have any growing at the moment...moved and never got around to getting any more)...and I just chuck the herbs in fridge in the bag they come in. After reading this that probably isn't the best idea :blush:

Back
Top Bottom