"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices

Old 09-12-2007, 07:51 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance View Post
I want some!
Come on down, Connie. I have a nice, big ham bone in the freezer just waiting to hunker down in a big pot of split pea soup. Can't beat a meal of that and a loaf of N.Y. Times Bread. Pure heaven.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:10 PM   #22
Head Chef

I put bay leaf in just about every thing I cook and In bbq sauce it give a flavor nobody can pick up on . beans/tomatoes/fish/gumbo. bloody mary's (a pinch)

Old 09-13-2007, 07:34 AM   #23
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
A guaranteed way to deal with any larva in the flour you buy is to freeze the bag of flour for 3 days then take it out of the freezer. This freezing kills off any bug eggs in the flour.
I was told that, but I trusted my old bay leaves more. I guess maybe I will give it a try.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:23 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
I didn't know you could use them for anything other than putting them in flour to discourage weevils!
Do they make the flour taste funny? My aunt used to put a vanilla bean in her sugar canister to make it take on the vanilla flavor; I was wondering if the same thing happens with bay leaves in flour.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:03 PM   #25
Assistant Cook

Try Richter's Herbs online. I was just directed there today by the local Herb Society of America representative.

I was sad. I was hoping to find somewhere more local that had a plant for sale that was a little more established, maybe 2 or more feet.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:08 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Do they make the flour taste funny? My aunt used to put a vanilla bean in her sugar canister to make it take on the vanilla flavor; I was wondering if the same thing happens with bay leaves in flour.
No, they don't affect the taste of the flour at all. Of course, after reading this thread, I'm wondering now if they do anything at all!
Old 11-07-2007, 08:37 AM   #27
Master Chef

There are usually 2-3 common types of varmints(probably more) that inhabit flour, rice, and meal based products (yep, that's about 1/10 or more of a common pantry). Flour beetles (family Tenebrionide if you're into bugs), mealy moths, and tiny weevils are the usual culprits. The adults mate, and then lay their eggs in our pantry products. The eggs then hatch and feed, do their bathroom business, sleep, watch tv, and then turn into adults. Then serious love connections begin. Some females have no desire to leave home and so lay their eggs in the most convenient place---your precious flour, rice, grains, cornmeal, even found them making love and babies in a can of cayenne pepper. Many moths, weevils, and beetles do eventually leave the love nest and fly to other places in your pantry. THAT'S where your bay leaves can help. They are repelled by bay leaves and rarely will you find NEW eggs being laid in products that have them. I put a bay leaf in every bag of flour, rice, cornmeal, oatmeal, etc., that I open. When you buy these products at a grocery, as has already been suggested, freeze them first to kill any eggs that have already been laid before you bought the item. Otherwise you are going to start a vicious cycle. YOu can also tape the bay leaves in and around your cupboards to discourage those seeking new homes to populate. If you see tiny, ugly looking moths flying around the light in your pantry (off white color, thin heads, very small) you probably have them in your foodstuffs. They like popcorn, too. Good news--they won't breed in your delicious stews and soups that you make using the bay leaves, too.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:46 AM   #28
Certified Pretend Chef

expat, you spend way too much time watching those little critters. I have an image in my head of you with a magnifying glass and a note pad writing furiously as the little critters, "feed, do their bathroom business, sleep, watch tv, and then turn into adults. Then serious love connections begin".
Old 11-07-2007, 09:30 AM   #29
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
expat, you spend way too much time watching those little critters. I have an image in my head of you with a magnifying glass and a note pad writing furiously as the little critters, "feed, do their bathroom business, sleep, watch tv, and then turn into adults. Then serious love connections begin".
See what an entomology class (study of insects) will do to you???? I have never been the same since------and instead of a magnifying glasses we used microscopes. If I had had the $$ back then like I do now, I really think that I would have become an entomologist. I really do see a reality show here, don't you??
Old 11-07-2007, 09:48 AM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
Many moths, weevils, and beetles do eventually leave the love nest and fly to other places in your pantry. THAT'S where your bay leaves can help. They are repelled by bay leaves and rarely will you find NEW eggs being laid in products that have them. I put a bay leaf in every bag of flour, rice, cornmeal, oatmeal, etc., that I open. When you buy these products at a grocery, as has already been suggested, freeze them first to kill any eggs that have already been laid before you bought the item. Otherwise you are going to start a vicious cycle. YOu can also tape the bay leaves in and around your cupboards to discourage those seeking new homes to populate.
This is great, expatgirl. Now I have something to do with all those bay leaves! Thanks!

Tags
None