Jalapeno peppers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rodedawg

Assistant Cook
I have quite a few jalapeno peppers, and was wondering the best way to preserve or keep them so they don't go bad. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thank you.

do you have a smoker or a grill that can be used as one?

if so, you can smoke dry jalapenos, which are then called chipotles. if not, you can either dry them in a dehydrator, or a low oven (around 200 degrees) for several hours.

finally, you can always pickle or freeze them. pickling is easy since it can be done in a water bath much like tomatoes. freezing works, but they will get a little mushy and then will need to be cooked in some way.

Last edited:
...or you can make Atomic Buffalo Turds. Jalapeno peppers stuffed with seasoned cream cheese, and a little bit of sausage, wrapped in bacon and smoked.

You could also make some jalapeno jelly.

I have never seen a ABT on a west coast menu.I will have to try them.I have only seen them stuffed with Cream cheese or cheddar and batter fried.

You could also make some jalapeno jelly.

I have never seen a ABT on a west coast menu.I will have to try them.I have only seen them stuffed with Cream cheese or cheddar and batter fried.

I've never seen them on a restaurant menu either. They're backyard BBQ food. You also see them at BBQ competitions.

I string them and hang them in my kitchen window to dry. I love the way they change colors while drying. They are also great raw, sliced, deseeded and filled with peanut butter. It's the only way I can eat them!

If I were you I would clean them up and then freeze them. I wouldn't want them to lose the fleshy part by drying them. I think that fleshy part of a jalapeno is the best!

...or you can make Atomic Buffalo Turds. Jalapeno peppers stuffed with seasoned cream cheese, and a little bit of sausage, wrapped in bacon and smoked.

Oh yes, you could also do this! Those are delicious. My family goes nuts over them.

I have frozen my jalapenos for later use in a cranberry salsa recipe I make at Christmas time. It has worked fine, but I do think they lose some of their kick. I recently read in a magazine not to freeze them for that exact reason. I think depending on what you want to use them for, and if you don't mind if they have lost some of their spunk, I would go ahead and freeze or try both freezing and drying and see what you like the best.

Pickle them either whole or sliced,or as mentioned above string them up in the kitchen to dry. Then use when required

Back
Top Bottom