Just found out how to grow garlic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chile Chef

Sous Chef
I just found out how to grow garlic via my brother who is staying in town for a while.

What you do is to "Crack it & peel it, Plant it 1 1/2 inches in the soil with pointy side up and then cover it with the rest of the soil"

That's very cool.

I planted garlic and shallots last fall. I'm anxious to see how they turn out.

Could you grow it inside in a container? I have been trying to do this as I can't get down to plant things. Just wondering.

I am trying to grow chives. Got some seeds, planted them some time ago, but the only thing I can show are a very small and thin things, ( they look like a head with only few very thin hairs). Well the only good thing is = they are still alive!

Garlic likes good rich soil, and here in Missouri, we plant in October and harvest in June or July.

I wouldn't peel the individual cloves--just break the head apart and plant. Keep the weeds down--garlic does not compete very well.

I don't think I tried to grow garlic in Florida when I lived there, but I had a huge success with onion sets (and, yes, I lived in central FL). I'd plant them very closely to start with. As they'd mature, I'd thin them, giving "green onions" to my family and friends. I planted them in the fall, and they were my winter crop. By the end of the following summer I had small onions to eat and give away.

Back
Top Bottom