"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices

Old 12-31-2013, 01:39 PM   #11
Executive Chef

We usually get roots. Stems work the same way. though. I put mine in the door because the rail stops the container from tipping over...

This is one reason I love this forum. I can go on endlessly about storing cilantro and people actually listen...lol

Old 12-31-2013, 01:45 PM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
We usually get roots. Stems work the same way. though. I put mine in the door because the rail stops the container from tipping over...

This is one reason I love this forum. I can go on endlessly about storing cilantro and people actually listen...lol
Please do 'the endless thing'. I may not comment on all the posts here at DC but I read almost all of them------ and learn something new every day.

And, yeah, I never thought about the door! With maybe some large CLEAN rocks or marbles in the bottom so I can't tip it over.

Old 12-31-2013, 03:31 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
I find the elastic helps prevent the bag from coming loose, sticking out and getting caught on everything.
I put mine in the back of the fridge behind almost everything else, so it doesn't come loose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
Thanks for the replies---- and I did do that a couple of times until I knocked the container over! I'm sure your fridge is not as cluttered as mine and I'm a klutz! (grin)
Mine is pretty full most of the time, but as I said above, I put it in the back between other items that I don't use very often, so it stays put.

The door is a good idea, though. That also makes it more visible; there have certainly been times that I forgot it was back there until it was too late!
Old 12-31-2013, 03:32 PM   #14
Head Chef

Nothing is uglier than old cilantro! Ask me how I know.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:32 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I bought a small plant that was labelled "coriander". Maybe it's slightly different if it's more for the seeds than for the leaves. The leaves did taste like cilantro, but didn't get used because I don't like cilantro. I got lots of seeds and had volunteer coriander for a few years.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:51 PM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I bought a small plant that was labelled "coriander". Maybe it's slightly different if it's more for the seeds than for the leaves. The leaves did taste like cilantro, but didn't get used because I don't like cilantro. I got lots of seeds and had volunteer coriander for a few years.
Sometimes cilantro gets mis-labled (to my mind) as coriander in nurseries.
Coriander is the fresh leaves and if you let the plant flower and go to seed---- you get coriander seed. Which is what you seem to have done.

In some places I've even seen it labeled Mexican Parsley!!!
Old 12-31-2013, 08:05 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

According to what I just learned on the Internet, the roots can be wrapped and frozen for up to two months. Guess that's what I'll do with the roots.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:02 AM   #18
Cook

but if you freeze them, will be they be good to eat fresh, like in a salad?
Old 01-01-2014, 09:08 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
Sometimes cilantro gets mis-labled (to my mind) as coriander in nurseries.
Coriander is the fresh leaves and if you let the plant flower and go to seed---- you get coriander seed. Which is what you seem to have done.

In some places I've even seen it labeled Mexican Parsley!!!
Actually, the leaves are cilantro and the seeds are coriander. For more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriander
Old 01-01-2014, 09:10 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathing Couch View Post
but if you freeze them, will be they be good to eat fresh, like in a salad?
You can freeze them in water in an ice cube tray and when you thaw and drain them, they can be used like fresh.

Tags
cilantro, recipe

Keeping cilantro fresh I'm one of those people who loves cilantro but buying it in the market and then keeping it fresh in the fridge is sometimes a problem if I don't use the entire bunch. What do others do to help keep their cilantro fresh? 3 stars 1 reviews