"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices

Old 01-05-2014, 12:06 PM   #31
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I've tried to grow it here, where anything will grow and I just gave up.

I use it often, and just around the corner is a Mexican market that sells it for a quarter a bunch, so why bother? Like Janet, I just wrap it in a damp paper towel and leave it in the crisper drawer in the plastic bag from the market. I even use it in green salad, so it never goes bad before I run out.
The cilantro here in OR, where it seems as if all food is more expensive than in other states!!! even though the climate in the Valley is mild-ish! cilantro is sometimes about $1 a bunch!!!

We have one fairly good Latino Market, but it's across town from me and I don't get there as often as I want to---- but it's never as cheap as .25 cents either!

Our climate here would be the absolute best for growing cilantro and yet-----why so expensive?

Kayelle, cilantro is really easy to grow if you don't mind following a few pointers. But at .25 cents a head, I wouldn't bother either!

Old 01-05-2014, 04:16 PM   #32
Assistant Cook

In South Africa we call Cilantro Coriander whether its the seeds or the leaves. Or we call it Dhania, which is the Indian word. Cilantro is never used except by "foodies" who've travelled to the states.

What I normally do is use what I need and if I know I won't be using any more for a couple of days, I don't even TRY to keep it fresh. I just chop it up and put it into ice cube trays to freeze, and then use it in recipes like curries etc. that call for the herb to be cooked in.

http://lisaliaison.blogspot.com/
Lisa Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:48 PM   #33
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Mac View Post
I just chop it up and put it into ice cube trays to freeze, and then use it in recipes like curries etc. that call for the herb to be cooked in.
Ya know-----I've found that the special pungency that I love so much about cilantro is mostly lost after freezing or drying. That's just my experience.

But then I just LOVE Marmite (Vegemite). (Nice segue, huh?)
Old 01-05-2014, 07:24 PM   #34
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
Ya know-----I've found that the special pungency that I love so much about cilantro is mostly lost after freezing or drying. That's just my experience.

I find that special aroma is gone after a few days in the fridge also Cave.

When I send Steve to the Mexican market to get more, I tell him to smell it so he doesn't mistake it again for Italian parsley. I love that aroma. I know I'm very lucky to get it for a quarter a bunch there, and also the white onions I love to cook with are a quarter a lb. In fact, all of their produce prices are remarkable when the supermarket charges at least four times the price.As you can imagine, they do a fabulous business
.Besides I like dealing with a family owned business since I was raised in one.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:52 AM   #35
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post

I agree about the drying and I never get the jars of dried coriander, but if you freeze it fresh it still retains a fair amount of flavour/aroma. You just have to use a little more than usual.

I love marmite too. So does my husband. My son on the other hand thinks it's the most disgusting stuff in the universe. No accounting for tastes. And my sister hates coriander. Thinks it tastes soapy. I think it tastes divine. It's one of my favourite herbs.

Nice segue indeed. That's how threads go off the rails. Imagine if in 'real life' we had to communicate in threads.

But you got something there. The connection between Marmite and Cilantro/Coriander is that they are both tastes that you either love or hate.

Old 01-06-2014, 02:54 AM   #36
Assistant Cook

Quote:
.Besides I like dealing with a family owned business since I was raised in one.
[/QUOTE]

I'm the same. Always support the independents if I can. Not always possible of course. So many small butcheries and bakeries have just not been able to survive the large supermarkets. Especially here in SA where the market is so much smaller.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:27 AM   #37
Head Chef

Lisa Mac said:
" Imagine if in 'real life' we had to communicate in threads."

LOL----- men might like linear-speak that but I doubt if women could talk in a straight line for the life of them!

Oh, and here I am again, hi-jacking a thread! Mea culpa.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:51 PM   #38
Executive Chef

I bought 2 bunches of cilantro for a fresh sausage recipe I made yesterday. I guestimated, by volume, what I needed. I ended up going by weight. Called for 48 grams. I ended up using every bit of the leaves from both bunches to get that amount. So nothing left to save!

Tags
cilantro, recipe

Keeping cilantro fresh I'm one of those people who loves cilantro but buying it in the market and then keeping it fresh in the fridge is sometimes a problem if I don't use the entire bunch. What do others do to help keep their cilantro fresh? 3 stars 1 reviews