Lavender for cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Herbs de Provence comes to mind. Some versions of the mix include dried lavender.

I used lavender in a cream of radish soup last summer...I also steeped some in vodka (with rosemary). It was very good. I also use the dried seeds in shortbread.

Lavender's blue, dilly dilly, lavender's green. When I am king, dilly, dilly, you shall be queen.

Who told you so, dilly, dilly, who told you so? T'was my own heart, dilly, dilly, that told me so.

Could someone PLEASE tell me why I remember stuff like this?
img_1123915_0_9fdeca8fcf08fb2742822f2eddca50ed.gif

Last edited:
Sir_Loin_of_Beef said:
Lavender's blue, dilly dilly, lavender's green. When I am king, dilly, dilly, you shall be queen.

Who told you so, dilly, dilly, who told you so? T'was my own heart, dilly, dilly, that told me so.

Too much dill, dilly dilly.

Need to cut back on the pickles.

Sir_Loin_of_Beef said:

Thanks, now that song will be stuck in my head. As for cooking with lavendar, I would never have thought of it. What does it taste like? Hopefully not the way lavender scented stuff smells.

purple.alien.giraffe said:
Thanks, now that song will be stuck in my head. As for cooking with lavendar, I would never have thought of it. What does it taste like? Hopefully not the way lavender scented stuff smells.

I find it DOES taste like it smells! Don't use too much!

taxlady said:

Actually, just a tiny hint is nice in herbs de Provence. I just wouldn't coat a chop or chicken breast with it. But there's so much more you can do with lavender.

My co-worker infused some sugar with dried lavender (from her garden) and then made some outstanding shortbread cookies with it.

Good Morning,

Interesting post ...

I have used Lavendar Herb in a few ways. Firstly, in a lovely Gorgonzola cheese spread dip, a drizzle of honey and a pinch of dried lavendar ... Lovely with fabulous bread sticks, crisp flat breads & / or crackers ...

As Princess Fiona mentioned tea, I have purchased an herbal infusion at French Tea Specialty Shops, that has lavendar as a main ingredient. It is very good for relaxing in the evenings. I would not sip it during the day ... It is a total relaxante ...
Mercì.
Interesting post.
Margi.

A co-worker makes vanilla caramels and adds lavender to them, very little and then drops a few dried flowers on the top for decoration and added flavor. It's a toss-up between these and the dark chocolate caramels with sea salt...:pig:

When I was a kid, Dad used to get Lavender Pastilles and Violet Pastilles. Yum!

I have infused sugar with lavender. As I recall, I put the dried sprigs in sugar and let the sugar sit for about a month. The LCBO Food and Drink magazines have had a few recipes that use lavender as an ingredient:

Recipe Search Results

PrincessFiona60 said:
Lavender scented Earl Grey is very nice!

Agreed. I had some lavender flavored ice cream in Savannah once- sort of minty & also very good.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom