Lawry's Seasoned Salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, Stock Pot, I think what we all are talking about here has nothing to do with our health concerns, rather our personal taste preferences.

For our home, we simply do not care for overly salted foods. For that reason, we have stopped eating at several "chain" restaurants, WAY too salty, all of their food on the menu.
In addition, there are many "prepared" food items that we steer clear of, because of the taste of excessive salt.
We, my husband and I, just do not care for overly salted foods.

I am with you on that. I often forget to even add salt when I am cooking. And due to tummy problems I almost never add pepper. I am more likely to reach for the garlic or onion powder. More flavor. :angel:

Harm Ha (or Haam Ha in Cantonese) is THE MOST DISGUSTING thing that you will ever smell on this EARTH!!!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrimp_paste
I use shrimp paste all the time when I make Thai curry. I agree it doesn't have the most pleasant smell, but it adds wonderful flavor. It's not all that different from anchovy paste, in my opinion. That's one of my secret salad dressing ingredients.

SO and I enjoy watching his shows as they expose us to how people live in other parts of the world. I probably wouldn't eat all he eats but it's still a learning experience. I don't search the Internet for Andrew Zimmern recipes.

Andrew seems like a nice guy, though I would not eat what he does.

First time I ever heard of balut was on Fear Factor. I think they also had to consume other disgusting stuff like worms and leeches. Then there were a couple episodes of Survivor where they had to down it. No thank you. Not even with Lawry's seasoning.

Last edited:
I use shrimp paste all the time when I make Thai curry. I agree it doesn't have the most pleasant smell, but it adds wonderful flavor. It's not all that different from anchovy paste, in my opinion. That's one of my secret salad dressing ingredients.

AHA!!! Thank you!! I was wondering what else I could use my shrimp paste in. Salad dressing would be perfect! Use in place of anchovys'!

AHA!!! Thank you!! I was wondering what else I could use my shrimp paste in. Salad dressing would be perfect! Use in place of anchovys'!

Every Thai curry paste I make that calls for shrimp paste, requires it to be cooked first. I don't think it is meant to be used "raw".:ohmy:

`i'm with Andy ``M.........`i use more of the dried/powdered garlic, onion, than `i do of the salt.........amazing what dried onion/garlic do to a recipe........`i begin and end with them...........as well as the real thing

I make my own, I would give credit to where I got this from, but been making it for so long I can't remember.

Homemade Seasoning Salt
1 tbsp salt or Kosher salt ( I have used both)
1 tbsp celery salt ( I have used 1 tbsp of ground up celery seeds instead)
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp corn starch
mix all together and store in jar

This is my basic All purpose spice blend. It is never quite the same because I just eye ball the amounts in a large shaker bottle and mix well. I use this for just about everything I spice. I add additional herbs and spice as dictated by what I'm seasoning.

All Purpose Spices

Goya Adobo with pepper
Goya Adobo with lemon
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Cayenne
Pride of Szeged hot paprika
Pride of Szeged sweet paprika
Ground Pepper corns
Ground red pepper flakes
Powdered vinegar
Salt
Accent (optional)

ok,,,,,so we have Goya pepper, cayenne, hot paprika, ground peppercorns, and ground pepper flakes........in your all around every day seasoning.........you've got to be a Texan or a Cajun......and seriously where do you get the powdered vinegar? `i put vinegar into everything.......

Back
Top Bottom