Lawry's Seasoned Salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zagut

Head Chef
I've always seen it praised as wonderful.

I finally broke down and bought some.

Wish I'd read the label first. :(

#1 ingredient. Salt
#2 ingredient. Sugar
#3 spices (including paprika and turmeric) onion, cornstarch, garlic.

A quick taste sure proved it contained salt and sugar.

I guess for convenience sake it is worth it but I'll take the cheaper and adjustable route of individual spices in the future.

But as they say. Nothing ventured, Nothing gained.:D

This is why I don't buy seasoned salts, including garlic or onion salts, I use the powders instead.

Whoa.... I just cooked a steak with this "seasoning".

It's salt folks.

Any spice is lost in the salt.

Except the sugar. :neutral: So let's call it sweet salt. ;)

I can see this is going to be one of those bottles that sits on the shelf for years just for looks. :LOL:

I have a small jar of Penzey's seasoned salt too, but hardly ever use it. It must have been a freebie. :) Not bad though, it does have more of a 'seasoning' flavor in the saltiness. Grandson likes it sometimes sprinkled on scrambled eggs. I've used it on grilled burger patties and roasted or grilled veggies. It's not something I would replace should it ever run out. :ermm:

Last edited:
When I was sick a lot and DH was cooking for us, he liked to use it on steamed veggies for easy flavor. He doesn't have the patience or desire to pull out a bunch of seasonings, so I get flavor and he gets convenience :)

Odd man out here I guess. I've been using Lawry's seasoned salt on all of my eggs for many years, and I always miss having it if I go out to breakfast. I once used it for lots of things, but not so much lately.

Odd man out here I guess. I've been using Lawry's seasoned salt on all of my eggs for many years, and I always miss having it if I go out to breakfast. I once used it for lots of things, but not so much lately.

Kay, you should fill a tiny little jar of seasoned salt and tuck it into your purse when you know you're going out to breakfast. I've been known to do that with my beloved freshly ground peppercorns. :ermm::LOL:

Last edited:
Kay, you should fill a tiny little jar of seasoned salt and tuck it into your purse when you know you're going out to breakfast. I've been known to do that with my beloved freshly ground peppercorns. :ermm::LOL:

What a great idea Cheryl!
I've got DH hooked on freshly ground black pepper on EVERYTHING.
When we're in the restaurants and he's trying to shake and shake and nothing comes out... he does what I do, up the top, pour some in your palm and pinch-sprinkle over the top, but still not the same.

Cheryl, how do you package it up for your purse?

In addition, I now carry at all times in my handbag powdered Stevia in the cutest little packette holder-pouch, so that we can use it for our coffee or iced tea when eating out. Rarely do any places have that on the tables yet.

It's salt folks.

I can see this is going to be one of those bottles that sits on the shelf for years just for looks. :LOL:

In my opinion Lawry's is more of a table condiment than a cooking seasoning. I like it on french fries.

When we're in the restaurants and he's trying to shake and shake and nothing comes out... he does what I do, up the top, pour some in your palm and pinch-sprinkle over the top, but still not the same.

In addition, I now carry at all times in my handbag powdered Stevia in the cutest little packette holder-pouch, so that we can use it for our coffee or iced tea when eating out. Rarely do any places have that on the tables yet.

Just coarsely pre-ground, in a tiny little jar. I did that when my daughter and I went on vacation mid-June. :) I too dislike the pepper shakers at most restaurants. LOL

Good idea about the Stevia. Do you have a pic of the little packette you use? :)

Kgirl, I thought DH and I were the only ones to do that with the restaurant pepper shakers. We usually try to carefully shake it directly on the food after taking the top off, though there have been a few over-peppered "incidents".

One place out east had the cutest tiniest little bottles of Tabasco sauce at the breakfast buffet. One of my BILs and I caught each other's eye as we were both stuffing our pockets with them...

I'm a jar/container saver, an empty Penzy's sample jar would work to put your favorite seasonings in your purse.

Last edited:
Just coarsely pre-ground, in a tiny little jar. I did that when my daughter and I went on vacation mid-June. :) I too dislike the pepper shakers at most restaurants. LOL

Good idea about the Stevia. Do you have a pic of the little packette you use? :)

007.JPG

008.JPG

Mrs. DF made this for me... but I'm certain there's pattern out there somewhere

Kgirl, I thought DH and I were the only ones to do that with the restaurant pepper shakers. We usually try to carefully shake it directly on the food after taking the top off, though there have been a few over-peppered "incidents".

One place out east had the cutest tiniest little bottles of Tabasco sauce at the breakfast buffet. One of my BILs and I caught each other's eye as we were both stuffing our pockets with them...

I'm a jar/container saver, an empty Penzy's sample jar would work to put your favorite seasonings in your purse.

I was thinking of tiny packettes to fit into my pouch (as seen above) ... just a goodly pinch of pepper in a flat .... ooohhhh! I've got it! Food Saver to the rescue!!!
I'll report back later ...

I used to shun these type of products.....

but many New Mexican recipes call for garlic salt that I finally tired it. I do use Penzey's garlic salt and I am surprised how much I use it.

It's salt folks.

Now that you have it you might as well experiment with it. Try adding a good amount of onion powder and a smaller amount of garlic powder, maybe a big pinch of cayenne pepper to the bottle and give it a good shake to mix it up. The added ingredients will help cut the salt/sugar and amp up the flavor.

I use Goya Adobo with pepper as an inexpensive all purpose seasoning.
adobo-all-purpose-seasoning-with-pepper.jpg

Goya Products

Good luck!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom