Lawry's Seasoned Salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I used it quite a bit in my scout days. It has more flavor than regular salt and more convenient to pack than a bunch of spices. That and black pepper was it.

I don't use seasoned salt at all. It's not that I have anything against them, or object to the taste. The problem I have is that it's impossible to know what the season-to-salt ratio is, thus making it too easy to over salt the food.

If I use a seasoning blend, I would rather use a product without salt, and salt the food separately. Penzeys has a number of salt-free seasoning blends that are pretty good. Mural of Flavor and Arizona Dreaming are a couple that I like.

Last edited:
The only seasoned salt that I enjoy is truffle salt. The truffle flavor is strong enough so that you don't have to use too much salt to flavor the food.

This is a finishing salt, not to put into the cooking pot.

Seeeeeeya: Chief Longwind of the North

Now that you have it you might as well experiment with it. Try adding a good amount of onion powder and a smaller amount of garlic powder, maybe a big pinch of cayenne pepper to the bottle and give it a good shake to mix it up. The added ingredients will help cut the salt/sugar and amp up the flavor.

I use Goya Adobo with pepper as an inexpensive all purpose seasoning.
adobo-all-purpose-seasoning-with-pepper.jpg

Goya Products

Good luck!

Thanks Aunt Bea. I was thinking along the line of diluting it.

But I found my answer today at work.

I mentioned it at work and a coworker said he loved the stuff.

Tomorrow he's going to receive a gift of a bottle minus a few shakes.

I don't use seasoned salt at all. It's not that I have anything against them, or object to the taste. The problem I have is that it's impossible to know what the season-to-salt ratio is, thus making it too easy to over salt the food.

If I use a seasoning blend, I would rather use a product without salt, and salt the food separately. Penzeys has a number of salt-free seasoning blends that are pretty good. Mural of Flavor and Arizona Dreaming are a couple that I like.

Mr. Steve, I agree totally.
I bought this only because I'd heard such glowing reviews from peeps.
I have all the ingredients on hand separately.
In the future I'll use my tastes to make spice blends that are to my taste.
But nothing ventured nothing gained and it's different strokes for different folks kind of thing.

Count me in as one who wants to spice foods as I see fit with the spices I have on hand.
It seems to be easier and cheaper as far as I can see.

Whoa.... I just cooked a steak with this "seasoning".

It's salt folks.

Any spice is lost in the salt.

Except the sugar. :neutral: So let's call it sweet salt. ;)

I can see this is going to be one of those bottles that sits on the shelf for years just for looks. :LOL:

Save the space on your shelf and your salt intake for something you enjoy. Toss it now. :angel:

I use it on zucchini all the time. It's not just salt. All the fear of salt is totally unfounded propaganda anyway.

See It's Time to End the War on Salt - Scientific American

This from Scientific American and New England Journal of Medicine, no less.

Well, Stock Pot, I think what we all are talking about here has nothing to do with our health concerns, rather our personal taste preferences.

For our home, we simply do not care for overly salted foods. For that reason, we have stopped eating at several "chain" restaurants, WAY too salty, all of their food on the menu.
In addition, there are many "prepared" food items that we steer clear of, because of the taste of excessive salt.
We, my husband and I, just do not care for overly salted foods.

I use it on zucchini all the time. It's not just salt. All the fear of salt is totally unfounded propaganda anyway.

I'm glad to hear you like it.
It's just not for me.
After trying it I simply think I can make a salt/spice mix that suits my taste better at a lesser cost with spices I have on hand.

And no fear of salt here. Also no fear of MSG.
I'm of the eat what you like tribe.
I discount 99.9% of the what's "healthy" and what's "not healthy" debate. But try not to use anything to excess.
Fear of any foodstuff is not a good thing IMHO.
Dislike is a different matter altogether.

I'm with K-girl on salt. I tend to like my chow with less salt these days. When I do get something at a restaurant (Especially the fast food/chain type) I notice that it has more salt then I care for.

I also find the same with Lawry's other main ingredient sugar. Years ago I had a giant sweet tooth. Now a days, Not so much.

you should take those reports with a grain of salt.

^^^^^^^
Now this is the award winning post of the thread. :clap:

Well, Stock Pot, I think what we all are talking about here has nothing to do with our health concerns, rather our personal taste preferences.

For our home, we simply do not care for overly salted foods. For that reason, we have stopped eating at several "chain" restaurants, WAY too salty, all of their food on the menu.
In addition, there are many "prepared" food items that we steer clear of, because of the taste of excessive salt.
We, my husband and I, just do not care for overly salted foods.

I'll add the caveat that you don't like what you consider overly salted. Those same products may be perfectly seasoned for some people and may not even be salty enough for others. I use a lot of salt in many things, but I'm usually conservative when cooking and then add more at the table, because I know that not everyone has my taste buds.

The flavors that I dislike are the bitter things, coffee being high on my list of things I can't stand - I don't even care for the smell. Add things like eggplant and over-hopped beer (IPA's are horrid) to that list as well. For whatever reason, I'm overly sensitive to bitter, and it sticks to the back of my tongue for a long time after food is gone.

When I watch a show like "Chopped!", I see that a surprising number of professionals and semi-professionals have bought into the "less salt is better" philosophy, and those cooks don't usually make it to the final round. They get dinged for serving the judges underseasoned food. It tells me that what may be good for some is definitely not good for all.

I'll add the caveat that you don't like what you consider overly salted. Those same products may be perfectly seasoned for some people and may not even be salty enough for others. ... snipped ...

Indeed Rick, as I said, some folks do not care for salty (or bitter or sweet or spicy) foods, some do... it's all a personal preference. :)

It is strange.. I never used to cook with salt, just the very bare minimum. But now I have become a salt freak. Olives, potato chips (but even there only the "lightly salted"), french fries. Although in restaurants I hate salty things - what a mixed bag of tastes I have! So bizarre!

I'm a spice blend collector, both homemade and storebought. (For example, I make my own Emeril's Essence, though I cut back on the salt). Lawrey's has a place on my extremely cluttered spicy counter by the stove. I use garlic and onion powders. I don't like overly-salty, though I do like pickles, olives, and stuff.

Funny you hate IPA, RP! It's one of the very few beers I like!

Last edited:
I'm afraid of Baloot.:ROFLMAO:

Bob Flowers

Baloot? I ain't afraid of no darned Baloot. :bb:

But I sure hope it never find it's way onto my plate. :whistling

My reaction would surely be. :sick:

Hmmmm..... Perhaps if you added enough Lawry's???? :rolleyes:

And this post also goes in the award winning category. :mrgreen:

You and Rock will have to fight it out among the members for the placement of said awards. :boxing:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom