"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices

Old 07-07-2012, 08:21 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Liquorice root alternative snack

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right part of the forum to ask about this but this section appears to be the most appropriate.

I recently discovered liquorice root powder, which led me to the root itself and I found it to be a good natural snack that amazingly contained no sugar - the extent to which the food is healthy is very important for me.

However, after doing more research on liquorice root, I found out that it contains dlycyrrhizinate, which can cause high blood pressure, fluid retention and abnormal heart rhythms when 40g of liquorice root is consumed. I have been consuming around 40g per day for the last few days, and even if I reduce the amount to 25g, I would still feel uncomfortable knowing that it can lead to negative effects.

Therefore, I am interested to know if anyone is aware of alternatives for liquorice root that have (1) no or very little sugar content (2) can be chewed on or consumed as a snack for a long perioud of time - like liquorice root (3) an alternative that is not a fruit as this tends to contain sugar (I know sugar in fruit is natural but long story short I'm searching for a low or non-sugar alternative snack!), so maybe something along the line of herbs or spices.

For example, I remember reading that the plant from which cocaine is made, when it is sucked on in it's natural form, offers a pleasant taste and has no adverse health effects but obviously it can be used to make an illegal and dangerous drug so I wouldn't want to consider it.

Another solution seemed to be to use liquorice root that is deglycyrrhizinated, but this appears to only come in supplement form which defeats the purpose of the food being a snack to chew on.

SO I acknowledge that this is a long message and a subject for which it's not easy to offer a solution but I would very much appreciate any ideas about any liquorice root alternative.

Many thanks

Old 07-07-2012, 09:38 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Anise? (Pimpinella Anisum)

Old 07-07-2012, 10:25 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Candied ginger.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:17 AM   #4
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Candied ginger.
+1
Old 07-07-2012, 11:23 AM   #5
Executive Chef

OP wants low sugar.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:24 AM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Candied ginger.

Ginger is candied by loading it up with sugar. Something the OP wants to avoid.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:38 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Maybe try pickling ginger and subbing agave syrup or stevia for the sugar, or leave out the sweetener.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:14 PM   #8
Head Chef

Celery as a snack (filled w/ cream cheese), or fennel in a salad.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:01 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Yes candied ginger would indeed have lots of sugar. Pickling ginger would introduces added sodium which also is not something I want to do. Ginger with stevia or agave syrup (as long as there's no added sugar) is an okay suggestion, the only downside is the fact that sweetener would have to be added and I was looking for something more natural like liquorice root, but regardless it's a good suggestion.

Anise (and fennel) seeds are a very good alternative as they are not processed and thus have no added sugar or salt and so forth.

Celery is a great vegetable and on the other hand is not the type of snack that I would feel I could consume for a long period of time like liquorice root or anise seeds.

I'm really appreciating the suggestions guys and if you have other suggestions please express them as your ideas are helpful.

I've never tried chewing on cinnamon sticks as a snack but what do you guys think of this? Are there other bark/root like snacks?

I get the impression that it is a tragic situation because liquorice root seems to be the ultimate solution but it has the major drawback of having adverse effects if it is consumed in large quantities (and 40g is not even large). However, I do have hope that just as I recently found out about liquorice root there is a good chance that there are other similar types of natural snacks out there that I do not know about!

I'm appreciating the ideas guys!
Old 07-08-2012, 01:00 AM   #10
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

In the past I have chewed on cinnamon sticks. They do have a slightly sweet taste without sugar added and they fit the bill for something to gnaw on.

Tags
recipe

Liquorice root alternative snack Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right part of the forum to ask about this but this section appears to be the most appropriate. I recently discovered liquorice root powder, which led me to the root itself and I found it to be a good natural snack that amazingly contained no sugar - the extent to which the food is healthy is very important for me. However, after doing more research on liquorice root, I found out that it contains dlycyrrhizinate, which can cause high blood pressure, fluid retention and abnormal heart rhythms when 40g of liquorice root is consumed. I have been consuming around 40g per day for the last few days, and even if I reduce the amount to 25g, I would still feel uncomfortable knowing that it can lead to negative effects. Therefore, I am interested to know if anyone is aware of alternatives for liquorice root that have (1) no or very little sugar content (2) can be chewed on or consumed as a snack for a long perioud of time - like liquorice root (3) an alternative that is not a fruit as this tends to contain sugar (I know sugar in fruit is natural but long story short I'm searching for a low or non-sugar alternative snack!), so maybe something along the line of herbs or spices. For example, I remember reading that the plant from which cocaine is made, when it is sucked on in it's natural form, offers a pleasant taste and has no adverse health effects but obviously it can be used to make an illegal and dangerous drug so I wouldn't want to consider it. Another solution seemed to be to use liquorice root that is deglycyrrhizinated, but this appears to only come in supplement form which defeats the purpose of the food being a snack to chew on. SO I acknowledge that this is a long message and a subject for which it's not easy to offer a solution but I would very much appreciate any ideas about any liquorice root alternative. Many thanks 3 stars 1 reviews