Maggi seasoning... how does it taste?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have used it - but it's been years. You might read this about the flavor of Maggi's Seasoning Sauce on the Cook's Thesaurus website ... just scroll down until you find it.

Oops.
I just went to the cabinet to get my bottle to answer your question and list ingredients, but it's not maggi.
It's Knorr Caldo de Tomate.
So I looked up the site Michael just did.
They're not the same stuff.
So check that site out.
Sorry I couldn't be more help.

i'm gonna have to check out lovage. thanks, jp-bill.

i was wondering what changed.

i like the old stuff on broiled steaks.

I have it in my cabinet and I think it is older than me even though I use it regularly. It is definitely concentrated so a little does a lot. I love the stuff.

I don't make any connection of MSG (which I hate) with hydrolyzed plant protein defined as a protein obtained from various foods (like soybeans, corn or wheat), then broken down into amino acids by a chemical process called acid hydrolysis.

I have been using this product since I can remember. We always have it in the house since it first came out. It is good. I like it very much. We usually use it into dips for little Asian meat rolls but I'd use it on most of my food when I have Asian if it will not be that expensive. Short of that, if I ran out, I will mix dark soy sauce with lemon and a bit of sesame seed oil...

I don't make any connection of MSG (which I hate) with hydrolyzed plant protein defined as a protein obtained from various foods (like soybeans, corn or wheat), then broken down into amino acids by a chemical process called acid hydrolysis.

Well, I'm not an expert or anything, but this is the first place where I read it. I looked on answers.com to see what they had to say about hydrolyzed protein, but they just quoted the Wikipedia page I linked above.

Both MSG and hydrolyzed plant protein contains free glutamic acid -- it's what acts as a flavor enhancer. UMAMI.

Many foods have naturally occurring free glutamic acid -- mushrooms, tomatoes, some cheeses, anchovies.

From what little I've used it, I'd almost call it an "Asian Kitchen Bouquet." It's mostly concentrated vegetable flavor, isn't it?

I use Maggi seasoning in green salsa. I don't know what it tastes like plain, but it's great in the salsa!

I cannot visualize an Asian connection with Maggi Seasoning or Kitchen Bouquet.

You can buy Maggi seasoning in just about any asian market. People sub it for soy sauce. They even make a "Maggi -- Taste of Asia" line of products.

"Maggi® Seasoning is an extremely versatile sauce made from the natural extract of pure vegetable proteins. Made in China, this sauce features a distinctive flavor and aroma, which adds zest and depth to soups, salads, and vegetables with just a few dashes. An excellent sauce for marinating, stir-frying, and dipping, Maggi® Seasoning is made naturally without any food preservatives."

product_inset_MaggiSeasoning.jpg

We have lovage in our herb garden that we brought back from Germany in 93 and have given plants to many friends. It's wonderful in soup but a little bit goes a long way.

Our sorrel is already sprouting. :ohmy:

Back
Top Bottom