"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices

Old 06-13-2011, 08:25 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Make your own Curry Powder and Garam Masala powder

Go this in email...I am very grateful for it:
"hari bol all glories to srila prabhupada

curry powder
1 cup cumin seed
1cup corriander seed
1/2 cup mustard seed
1/2 cup fennel seed
1/2 cup fenugreek seed
mix all spices in frying pan on medium flame dry roast till color changes let cool then grind into powder mix in 3/4 cup of tumeric powder and 1/4 cup chili powder mix well store in container with lid

gram masala
1 cup cumin seed
1 cup corriander seed
1cup green cardomon pod
1 cup broken up bay leaves
15 whole cloves mix all spices in frying pan on medium flame dry roast till color changes let cool grind into powder mix in 3/4 cup cinnomon powder 1/2 cup of mace powder(optional) mix well store in container with lid

here they are yours in the service of srila prabhupada sanka dasa"

I have yet to try it, but I will soon. THought some of you could use it! :D

Old 06-14-2011, 06:57 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Welcome to DC! The 2nd recipe would be very expensive to make because of the cost of the cardamon pods. Also, storing the amount (for most of us--that would be a lifetime supply) would render it stale before most of us would use that amount. Don't get me wrong, I like both curry and masala. To convert this to more "useable" amounts, visit:

Online Conversion - Cooking Conversions

I'd probably reduce it to T or even tsp.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:44 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

Thank you for the kind suggestion and link for online conversion. I agree, it is a rather large stockpile of powder! You could always give to friends though...

But I do not think I would deter someone from trying the garam masala based on the price of cardamom pods... I have some lying around my spice cupboard and do not remember paying too much. Anyways, it is good to make fresh and to share, so I say it is worth it!

Thank you for the online conversion tool!
Old 06-14-2011, 08:56 AM   #4
Head Chef

Welcome to DC.

Josie
Old 06-14-2011, 09:23 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

The other reason for doing a small batch would be to test it to see if you like it (unless your friend has given this to you in the past). I don't think I'd want the quantity the recipes make if I didn't care for it...I do that when I make a seasoning blend--I cut the recipe to the smallest quantities and test it. If I like it, then I'll make a bigger batch.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:39 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Has anyone tried making Thai curry pastes from scratch? The only ingredient I can't find is kaffir lime leaves. I just sub Key lime leaves from our tree.

Craig
Old 06-14-2011, 09:45 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

CraigC--if you have a really good nursery nearby, you may be able to buy a keffir lime tree. You may be able to plant it outside, I have to keep mine inside. I went to the nursery in November and asked if they could order one for me...it took about 4 months. Mine is all of 12 inches tall, but it has lots of leaves. I've had it for two years now. You are supposed to nip the buds off and not let it flower until it is about 7-8 years old.

You can sometimes find the leaves in speciality markets. I sometimes dream that I've bought a "branch" in the local grocery store...never gonna happen. If you do find fresh ones in a market, you can dehydrate the ones you don't use right away. That's what people I know do with fresh curry leaves.

I also have a regular lime tree plant. I've subbed its leaves, as well as grapefruit tree leaves, for recipes calling for Keffir lime leaves (b/4 I was able to get my plant).
Old 06-14-2011, 09:59 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

I'm fortunate to have a selection of Asian markets and even supermarkets. If you do buy a pack of kaffir lime leaves, they excess is easily frozen and will keep for a long time.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:21 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I'm fortunate to have a selection of Asian markets and even supermarkets. If you do buy a pack of kaffir lime leaves, they excess is easily frozen and will keep for a long time.
I have to buy galangal frozen, but the asian markets here don't carry fresh or frozen kaffir leaves. Some citrus doesn't do well here. Blood oranges will grow here but they will never have the blood red pulp color. We don't get the cold spells required.

Craig
Old 06-14-2011, 10:27 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
I have to buy galangal frozen, but the asian markets here don't carry fresh or frozen kaffir leaves. Some citrus doesn't do well here. Blood oranges will grow here but they will never have the blood red pulp color. We don't get the cold spells required.

Craig

Check this out: Dried Kaffir Lime Leaves - 15 leaves (.1 oz) Thai Seasoning - Shop Thai Fresh Herbs, Sesonings, Spices Online Grocery & Food Store | Buy

Tags
curry