"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices
Old 05-22-2015, 12:41 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
I rarely use canned goods anymore. I buy frozen vegetables as often as I can, and I find alternatives to lots of things such as making catsup, BBQ sauce and salsa from whole tomatoes. I don't claim, to be 100% can-free, but when I feel up to it, I make a low salt effort.
I know what you mean. The only veggies I buy in a can are wax beans. I love them ice cold with ranch dressing on them. Then the other is cream style corn for corn chowder. The rest of my veggies I buy are in the fresh produce department or in the frozen food section. It is surprising when you taste a veggie in a can now. Unless you can find salt free, I rinse the wax beans. Way to salty. I love fresh beets. Funny, you can't buy them frozen. Only fresh or canned. If I had my health, I would be out there planting my veggies. Nothing like the taste of a fresh tomato still warm from the sun's rays. That used to be my breakfast on the way to the bus stop going to work. My neighbor planted a big patch of tomatoes and his wife hated them. So he told me to help myself. And I did!

Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote

meat, spices