"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices

Old 03-04-2011, 10:54 AM   #11
Chief Eating Officer

I have my mine in a whiskey barrel under an oak tree in 100% shade and it does great there. Mint is one of the easiest things to grow. It next to impossible to kill.

My grandmother planted one small mint plant outside years ago. It ended up spreading and growing THROUGH a cement stoop. It actually cracked right through the middle and destroyed the stoop.

Plant it in a container and don't give it another thought. Even with your brown thumb you are almost certain to have a big pile of mint in no time even if all you do is plant it and forget about it.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:11 AM   #12
Everymom

I must respectfully disagree with Zhizara. Mint prefers partial sun or shade. Enjoy!!!

Old 03-04-2011, 11:37 AM   #13
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
Ah the old bird seed defence! yes your honor I do understand but I am totally innocent, my pet shops is at fault for selling it.
We had everything coming up in the yard, including Sunflowers...
Old 03-04-2011, 11:40 AM   #14
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I have my mine in a whiskey barrel under an oak tree in 100% shade and it does great there. Mint is one of the easiest things to grow. It next to impossible to kill.

My grandmother planted one small mint plant outside years ago. It ended up spreading and growing THROUGH a cement stoop. It actually cracked right through the middle and destroyed the stoop.

Plant it in a container and don't give it another thought. Even with your brown thumb you are almost certain to have a big pile of mint in no time even if all you do is plant it and forget about it.
That's why Mom always tries to keep it away from the house. LOL! I have no shady spots, I get full sun all day long, it just switches sides of the building. I'll plant it on the courtyard side, not the parking lot side.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:42 AM   #15
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
I must respectfully disagree with Zhizara. Mint prefers partial sun or shade. Enjoy!!!
How soon can I plant it outside, Alix? As soon as the dirt in the pots thaws?
Old 03-04-2011, 01:29 PM   #16
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Depending on the pot you may want to keep it off the patio/concrete. If it heats up too much that heat will transfer up to the bottom of the pot and may be too much for the plant's roots. If you have to, raise the pot up off the ground a few inches, that might help. Mint in my experience likes some shade and does not like to have the roots too hot. I have 2 HUGE pots of in here with peppermint, spearmint, and chocolate mint.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:24 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

All the mint in my garden is from "grocery store" mint. I just trim the ends about 1 inch, plunk the mint in a jar, and wait 6-8 weeks. Once there are roots, I transplant the mint to a pot. I've been doing this for years with "grocery store" mint. And, the mint comes back the next year (perennials).
Old 03-04-2011, 09:12 PM   #18
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
How soon can I plant it outside, Alix? As soon as the dirt in the pots thaws?
Yep, as soon as its warm enough for planting stick it out there. You get peppermint or spearmint?
Old 03-05-2011, 12:08 AM   #19
Executive Chef

DSM, when I was last in South Florida we went to a goverment botanical establisment, It was amazing,my kid brother who was with us is a RHS gold medal winner for growing orchids he could not believe it, they had a herb that tasted of dark chocolate, I grow chocolate cosmos, when it sunny the smell of chocolate is very strong
Old 03-05-2011, 12:34 AM   #20
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Yep, as soon as its warm enough for planting stick it out there. You get peppermint or spearmint?
I don't know...it's green! I believe it is spearmint. I think I may put it out of it's misery early and freeze it for future use. It will roast to death in the sun on the patio and I have no place else to put it outside. I have no yard space or shade to use.

Tags
None