Mint - The Underappreciated Herb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I grow spearmint in pots which I partially sink in the ground in summer and bring into the basement over winter. No Spreading allowed.

In addition to Tea and Tzatziki, I use it frequently in Tabbouleh.

I guess I haven't lived if I have never had a mojito, lol.

Last edited:
I love mint too. We have spearmint growing in an area outside. It completely took over the whole 8 foot by 3 foot blocked in space and is really thick. It always winters over well. I also have a dear friend that grows lemon mint & I love lemon mint tea (I bought some loose lemon mint tea). I would love to know how to make it myself, or a more accurate way to measure, some tips or something. All I know to do is crush a few leaves & stir in. I would like to be able to preserve some for winter months. Got any advice?

SO tells me mint is a great animal repellant.

Can anyone tell me how much mint you need to plant to keep critters away? I'm looking for something like "one 6" pot in the middle of the garden" "or all around the perimeter no more than a foot apart". Does anyone have a thought on this?

Andy M. said:
SO tells me mint is a great animal repellant.

Can anyone tell me how much mint you need to plant to keep critters away? I'm looking for something like "one 6" pot in the middle of the garden" "or all around the perimeter no more than a foot apart". Does anyone have a thought on this?

Have never heard of this. Critters eat anything around my mint (like my blueberries) though they leave the mint alone. You don't want to plant mint in the ground where it can roam free, as you will get a lawn or garden full of nothing but mint. Apparently mice don't like it in the house, though I haven't tested this.

I would plant any mint in its own pot in a hole, with the pot sticking up an inch, and harvest anything that deigns to try to root itself over the pot. I've never had to bring them inside, just leave them where they are. Hardy little things.

Last edited:
FluffyAngel said:
I love mint too. We have spearmint growing in an area outside. It completely took over the whole 8 foot by 3 foot blocked in space and is really thick. It always winters over well. I also have a dear friend that grows lemon mint & I love lemon mint tea (I bought some loose lemon mint tea). I would love to know how to make it myself, or a more accurate way to measure, some tips or something. All I know to do is crush a few leaves & stir in. I would like to be able to preserve some for winter months. Got any advice?

You can hang it up and dry it, though it will lose some flavor. You can freeze it too. Or pick a huge bunch and steep it in boiled water and strain, like tea.

Last edited:
Thanks a bunch. I thought for a while I might be one of few & rare mint lovers.

Lovely Post

I am driven by the wonderful fragrant aromas of basil, mint, oregano, anise, chive, tarragon, thyme, rosemary, sage, savoury and lavendar etcetra ...

I utilise a small amount of fresh mint herb as follows:

1) Mint Pesto: to substitute Basil with Mint ( mint, pinenuts, garlic and Evoo); and place the scoop of Mint Pesto on top of a bowl of Andalusian Tomato Gazpacho for example ... Nice combo.

2) Yes, in cocktails ... Mojitos ... and, preferably, a Gin or Vodka Tonic with Mint ... Yes, very refreshing ...

3) A little in an assorted green salad: arugula or rocket; radicchio, lollo rosso serrated curly lettuce, endive and mint leaf ... Lovely ...

4) with roast lamb ... truly refreshing with such a rich roasted meat ...

Have a nice wkend.
Margi.

Bolas De Fraile said:
Max loves mint dog biscuits the make his breath passable, I cant understand why they dont make mint and charcoal biscuits for dogs

Is Max an Old English Mastiff? He's beautiful.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom