"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices

Old 12-10-2009, 02:47 PM   #11
Master Chef

I'm not injecting MSG into suckling babies or adding it in huge amounts to processed food.

Just adding a very small pinch in certain home preparations.

I assure you that I am not addicted to it, nor has it made me obese. Can't say the same for good wine, great cheese and potatoes and gravy, however!

Old 12-10-2009, 02:54 PM   #12
Master Chef

Selkie, looks like you are lost, and not only in Midwest. Maybe info doesn't get to us fast enough. But people in Asia are by far healthier than we are here. And they do use msg. So the 1978 studies might be just a bit outdated. Moderation is the key word in food consumption.

Old 12-10-2009, 03:01 PM   #13
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyogal View Post
From my understanding, Accent and MSG are not synonymous.
Actually they are. On my bottle of Accent under ingredients there is only one item listed, Mono-sodium glutamate.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:03 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
I'm not injecting MSG into suckling babies or adding it in huge amounts to processed food.

Just adding a very small pinch in certain home preparations.

I assure you that I am not addicted to it, nor has it made me obese. Can't say the same for good wine, great cheese and potatoes and gravy, however!
You don't have to... MSG hides behind 25+ names, such as 'Natural Flavouring', It's also in your favorite coffee shops, restaurants and Drive-thrus (McDonalds, Burger King, Carl's Jr., etc. AND the worst of all, KFC.) MSG is used in 126,000+ processed foods, and the demand is increasing.

You've asked for science, I've given you science and some of you still argue it's safe. Too bad.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:06 PM   #15
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post

You've asked for science, I've given you science and some of you still argue it's safe. Too bad.
For every piece of science you have offered, there are many more studies that will prove the opposite of the studies you supplied.

If it is so dangerous then explain how Asian people, who are known to use MSG regularly, are among the healthiest people in the world.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:13 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
For every piece of science you have offered, there are many more studies that will prove the opposite of the studies you supplied.

If it is so dangerous then explain how Asian people, who are known to use MSG regularly, are among the healthiest people in the world.
Actually, according to the U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services:

The rapid modernization of China and other Asian countries has produced an alarming spike in the rate of obesity and diabetes, which could undermine the region's economic and social stability, experts warned Wednesday.
Asia currently has around two-thirds of the world's diabetics, or around 90 million people with the disease, according to Paul Zimmet, the chairman of the International Obesity Task Force, and the number of diabetics in Asia is set to reach 120 million by 2010, said Zimmet, citing World Health Organization data.
By 2025, the number of Asians with diabetes could hit 198 million, he said.
Meanwhile, the rate of obesity among Asian children is increasing by about 1 percent each year, roughly the same rate as in Australia, the United States and Britain, according to the task force's Asia-Pacific director, Tim Gill.

Enough said.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:24 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post

gosh i was going to add another gazilion thums up but only allowed 8.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:25 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
Actually, according to the U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services:

The rapid modernization of China and other Asian countries ...

Those are the key words. Modern foods, modern values, overeating because foods are much more available than before are the reasons Not MSG.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:58 PM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by julesthegolfer View Post
I know msg is in the doghouse, but I can't remember why. I'm tempted to start using it again because I did think it brought out the flavor of some food. Does anyone know why it is now taboo. I know some people are allergic to it, but if you're not, why not use it?
the "MSG" incident came about after a food critic felt ill after eating at a restaurant. He associated it with MSG, and published it. After that it blossomed. The fact is, MSG is a NATURAL ingredient, and can add much of what is now considered to be Umami to your dish.

MSG is a natural ingredient. If you eat meat of any type, you are getting some MSG.
In double blind taste tests they have not been able to create anything greater than slight and short lived flushing of the skin with high doses and those results were with very few people. Read the unbiased research papers and you will see the fear of MSG is unfounded.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:06 PM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
A comprehensive review of all available scientific data on glutamate safety sponsored by the FDA in 1995 reaffirmed the safety of MSG when consumed at levels typically used in cooking and food manufacturing. The report found no evidence to suggest that MSG contributes to any long-term health problems, such as Alzheimer's disease. But it did acknowledge that some people may have short-term reactions to MSG.
--- from the Mayo Clinic.

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None