MSG- Accent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MSG is the sodium salt of the naturally occurring amino acid, glutamic acid which makes up 10 to 25 % of ALL (That's ALL) food protein, from both animal and vegetable sources. In addition to being an ingredient intentionally added to foods, glutamate occurs as a natural part (That's Natural part) of ALL (That's ALL) vegetable and animal proteins!

Bon Appetite!

MSG is the sodium salt of the naturally occurring amino acid, glutamic acid which makes up 10 to 25 % of ALL (That's ALL) food protein, from both animal and vegetable sources. In addition to being an ingredient intentionally added to foods, glutamate occurs as a natural part (That's Natural part) of ALL (That's ALL) vegetable and animal proteins!

Bon Appetite!

Claiming MSG is natural because free glutamic acid appears in tomatoes or seaweed is sort of like saying cocaine is natural because it's derived from ingredients found in the coca leaf.

In naturally occuring amounts MSG is harmless, but in amounts that make it highly concentrated and many times more potent, it's a neurotoxin! And that's what is going into our food.

so, I guess I shouldn't snort large quantities of MSG, nor mainline it???
haha! I thought this was all on another thread and argued ad naseum...
Have a great day.

It is my humble opinion that these types of discussions are often not really just about a particular substance. What I generally infer from some is a kind of deep-seated distrust, bordering (to be kind) on a diffuse paranoia that is hard to define. It usually involves some kind of conspiracy theory that implicates EVIL scientists, the medical community, the government, and the modern world in general.

Some are far more willing to believe junk science from sources that are downright hysterical ("Microwave Ovens Can Kill You" type sites) than anything produced by rational, logical, and unbiased research.

And thanks to the Internet, the exploitation of those susceptible to such fear-mongering has increased exponentially.

MSG has failed many studies. The worse being that its bad for your brain like others have posted YIKES! I do not use MSG and try to avoid it however I cook with maggi at times which does contain it. They actually sell huge bags of it here and everyone calls it Chinese salt.

MSG has failed many studies. The worse being that its bad for your brain like others have posted YIKES! I do not use MSG and try to avoid it however I cook with maggi at times which does contain it. They actually sell huge bags of it here and everyone calls it Chinese salt.

There are no credible studies that prove MSG is "bad for your brain."

Well, like all this it is up for the individual to decide. My husband works at a hospital and the studies that I personally saw made me decided to use as little as possible.

Well, like all this it is up for the individual to decide. My husband works at a hospital and the studies that I personally saw made me decided to use as little as possible.

That's your decision. I only take exception to misleading and unsubstantiated statements. I personally don't feel any need to add it when cooking, but that's solely a culinary choice.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom