"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices

Old 01-31-2016, 10:20 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Must have spices and seasonings?

Another Penzey's fan here. Whenever I cook anything even remotely Italian, I must include fennel seeds that I buy whole, then grind. I need thyme in anything broth based. I've grown it, but the oregano keeps strangling it, so it croaks. Mexican oregano is nice. Whole nutmeg will outlast you and your family, so good grated into anything with cauliflower or cheese sauce, rice pudding. Whole peppercorns. Whole cloves. We go through a lot of hot pepper flakes. Epazote, celery seed, several paprikas and cayennes. I have so many herbs and spices that I built a separate cabinet for them!

Old 01-31-2016, 10:55 PM   #12
Master Chef

Lot's of good advice there, and I'm a Penzey's fan also. Their granulated garlic is far superior to anything I've ever used before. I don't care for any of the Indian cooking I've tasted so those choices are out for me. I must have cumin and Mexican oregano for my Mexican cooking. I use Herbs de Provence a lot, without lavender. Many people don't know that lavender is an American idea in the mix, and is never found in the Provence area of France. It's a really wonderful blend of spices.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbes_de_Provence

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 01:48 AM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Gosh, where to begin....! Ditto on the smoked paprika, and I also have to have cumin and chili powder as I do a lot of Tex mex cooking. A good cinnamon is a must for me, and garlic powder - not garlic salt. I have to have a good peppercorn for my grinder - I love pepper, and not the stuff that comes in a can. Once you taste fresh ground pepper, you'll never go back.

Have you ever checked out Penzeys? A lot of us here use them and are very happy with the quality, customer service, and prices. Often they include freebies with an order. In fact, I'm fixin' to place an order with them right now, to take advantage of a free bottle of dried shallots (delicious!) and roasted garlic. Free shipping for orders over $30...until midnight tonight its free shipping over $20, plus the freebies.

Have to get back to my order.
https://www.penzeys.com/

edited....another thread for your reading enjoyment. :-)
Penzeys spices: Any opinions?
Also look at Savory Spice Shop (.com) for great service and some great blends. They do the same with free samples often included in your order ( my last purchase I got a sample of Saigon Cinnamon that makes the grocery store stuff seem like a completely different spice). Prices are reasonable, and your order usually ships within 2 business days.

I can't be caught without thyme or rosemary or basil. Cumin has been mentioned. Good quality paprika (hot, sweet, or smoked - I try to keep all 3 on hand), good chili powder, garlic and onion powder are all important ingredients in most BBQ rubs.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:37 AM   #14
Master Chef

jd, I'm glad to see you misspoke (mistyped?) when you posted onion salt and garlic salt. Your photo shows the powder version of each. IMO, that is much better because 1) you can control how much salt goes into each dish, 2) I find the "salt" version solidifies if you don't use it enough, while the powder version does not, and 3) it's just plain cheaper shake-for-shake.

You must LIKE cumin to stock cumin. I keep trying to like it, but no matter who's version I buy, I still can't like it (I'm lookin' at you, Penzeys ). My spice cabinet must-haves are: cinnamon, Italian blend, tarragon, ground cayenne and chipotle peppers, sweet, hot and smoked paprika, pepper corns (Cheryl is right about fresh-ground pepper), whole cloves, and probably more I can't think of - and I'm too lazy to walk downstairs from the den to the kitchen to check the shelves.

If you are up for a ride and have the time, you should take a pilgrimage trip to Penzeys. The nearest one to you is about a hour away, on Chagrin Blvd in Woodmere. You can sniff each and every spice, herb, and blend they offer. You can buy in jars or zip bags. If you sign up for emails, you get regular coupons for freebies - could be worth more than the cost of gas, if you end up driving to them. I also enjoy looking at/buying from The Spice House. Also, I randomly picked up a couple of blends at a Savory Spice Shop and found them to be really good. You can peruse them or any of the other mail-order places, but there are scads to look at online. Peruse with caution!
Old 02-01-2016, 03:43 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

I Like to keep these in the spice Cupboard;
Chipotle powder
cayenne pepper
Smoked paprika
Hungarian paprika (sweet, mild, and hot)
Coriander seeds
Cumin seeds
Fennel seeds
Star anise
Chinese 5 spice
Mace
Nutmeg (Whole)
Cinnamon (powder and Sticks)
Cloves (ground and Whole)
Cardamom pods (green and Black)
Sumac
Allspice
Juniper berries
Oregano (mex., Greek, and Ital)
Marjoram
Basil
Thyme
Tarragon
Rosemary
Mustard seeds (yellow and Brown)
Powdered ginger
Powdered mustard (a couple of dif ones)
A bunch of diff peppercorns and salts
Diff curry blends
Bay
Dill
Mint
Dill seeds
Celery seeds
Poppy seeds
Turmeric
Saffron
lemon, orange, and lime zest
Tomato powder
Liquid smoke
Fenugreek (seeds and dried leaves)
Avacado leaves
Curry leaves
Dried keffir lime leaves
A bunch of dried hot peppers

I'd have to get up and see what else is in there. I like having rosewater, orange blossom water and lavender on hand, too. I have Indian and Asian spices/herbs I can't spell...

I only use fresh garlic and onion.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:38 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

You have received some excellent advice. A lot depends on what kind of foods you cook. If you don't cook Mexican or TexMex foods, then it most likely that you won't use the spices very often for those dishes. A must have for me is sea salt. Both course and fine. I have a grinder for both the salt and peppercorns. The flavor is more intense for these two items than the prepackaged ones.

Do head over to Penzy's. Take your time and read what each spice is for and how to use it. They give excellent advice on all of their products. Including recipes. You can also sign up for their catalog. Lots of recipes in there also for their spices that are on sale. The freebies with each order doesn't hurt either.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:44 AM   #17
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Another Penzey's fan with a cabinet full of spices.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:55 AM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef

Since you just tossed a bunch, I assume it's because they didn't get used.

I recommend you buy herbs and spices as you need them so you only have the spices you use regularly.

What you buy depends on what you cook, not on what others recommend.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:05 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Since you just tossed a bunch, I assume it's because they didn't get used.

I recommend you buy herbs and spices as you need them so you only have the spices you use regularly.

What you buy depends on what you cook, not on what others recommend.
+1 I don't have blends cuz I don't use them.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:15 PM   #20
Master Chef

I do have some blends, but they are mostly ones that I made up in small batches using individual herbs and spices from my cabinet.

Tags
seasoning, seasonings, spices